Thread: Various cases giving various lengths

Various cases giving various lengths

Over time I have accumulated several differant brands of cases, I now reload my own. I have found that when seating the bullet in two different cases (i.e. winchester/federal) I get slightly different lengths.

Has anyone else seen this or am I missing a trick??

Quote Originally Posted by Joehuck View Post
    Over time I have accumulated several differant brands of cases, I now reload my own. I have found that when seating the bullet in two different cases (i.e. winchester/federal) I get slightly different lengths.

how are you measuring the finish round ?? the length of brass wont matter due to you pressing between 2 points which are set at a fixed distance.the probelm will be
    inconsistant seating die
    slop in your press
    type of bullet IE soft nose (see below)
    measuring the finished round tip to tail instead of measuring using a comparator off the ogive
    by the way dont mix cases as the internal capacity will be different,use one or the other

Yes, I have had this effect. The neck tension is different. I now try and use quality brass wherever possible and treat each brand of brass as a load in its own right. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 13-12-2012 at 08:57. Reason: more info

I am using the hornady comparator set to check the length. To get round the problem I have to alter the die a fraction. When testing on the range they all group consistently.

I found the neck tensions were different after just neck sizing to when I full sized the cases.

I am using the hornady comparator set to check the length. To get round the problem I have to alter the die a fraction. When testing on the range they all group consistently.
    again i ask what bulloets are you using,as if your using lets say the cheaper brands you will find the inconsistancy is in the bullet ogive

sorry, Im using hornady Vmax 87gr in .243 cal. It might just be me but here is an example using the comparitor 2.154", 2.153.

sorry, Im using hornady Vmax 87gr in .243 cal. It might just be me but here is an example using the comparitor 2.154", 2.153.
    LOL mate it 1 thou.thats the bullet variation,dont wory about it

1 fow out lol ,your calibers could be that much out
    Last edited by swarovski; 13-12-2012 at 23:14.

spot on thank for that wasn't to sure how much of a difference that one thou would make grouping wise. ~What sort of tolerances should i be working to. Sorry if this has been a bit of a naff post just wanted to make sure I wasn't making cr#p rounds.

Cheers for all the advice.

Joe