Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rat shooting

Rat shooting

Asked to have a go at a local farm with a friend of mine. What a great night. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but fun none the less. Too cold to sit and wait, so just walking from barn to barn, with air rifles and gun mounted lights. If you get the chance give it a go. With the weather turning colder, they are heading into shelter. Cheap as chips and a right good laugh.
    neil

Indeed! We've had chickens for about three years now, and the rats have only just found them. They're coming through holes in a cob wall from next-door's shed. Sadly for them, they think they're safe if they lurk at the back of these small tunnels. This doesn't help them when you've got a PVS-14 GenIII NV add-on sitting on the back of your 50 ft/lbs FAC .25 Rapid though!

Its Brilliant fun!!! had a farm a couple of years ago that was crawling with them, the farm buildings were maybe 300m square and we would spend hours walking round going at them, most nights we would be getting 50-70.... then a bad pest controller came and poisoned them all..... I've got no rats left now

I like rat shooting as much as deer stalking! - I keep feeding birds and dumping food on my compost heap in the hope I'll get some in the garden!... she doesn't realise but the reason I keep suggesting chickens in the garden is for this very reason!

Rat shooting (and squirrel) is very good practice,
    I always believe if you can hit a rat in the eye or vitals
    at 30 yards you ought to be ok shooting deer which are
    100 times bigger.

Ratting is awsome sport!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I like rat shooting as much as deer stalking! - I keep feeding birds and dumping food on my compost heap in the hope I'll get some in the garden!... she doesn't realise but the reason I keep suggesting chickens in the garden is for this very reason!
    Good man!

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    Rat shooting (and squirrel) is very good practice,
    I always believe if you can hit a rat in the eye or vitals
    at 30 yards you ought to be ok shooting deer which are
    100 times bigger.
    Agreed - I think a lot of stalkers are far too sniffy about shooting 'lesser' quarry. You can easily fire more rounds at bunnies with an HMR in an evening than most recreational stalkers would fire in a year. Consistently smacking a rabbit down at 175 yards requires significant accuracy and so can only improve your performance on deer. Especially if you use sticks.

Good fun but buggers to take a cape trophy off them.
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    Good fun but buggers to take a cape trophy off them.
    I find it's easier if you kill them first.

I love rat shooting had many a great nights shooting at chicken farms with air rifles.

Regards
    Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami