Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is reloading worth the hassle

Is reloading worth the hassle

Ey up

Was out zeroing today with the Tika m595 .222. With the mod on I am now down to two hole groups at 90 mtrs (6 shot groups)

Plenty accurate for my needs for sure. So why should I reload ? I`ve been considering it for a bit,, how much would I save given that I pay 19 for a box of Sako 55gr gameheads.

Would it improve the accuracy that much ?

Sorry if any of the above sounds thick, but I know nowt about reloading,

i can only speak for myself but reloading gives me a lot of satisfaction along with the benefits of 'cheaper' ammo and something which shoots better than factory. I think if i were only shooting a dozen deer a year and not using the rifle for other applications then it would make less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    i can only speak for myself but reloading gives me a lot of satisfaction along with the benefits of 'cheaper' ammo and something which shoots better than factory. I think if i were only shooting a dozen deer a year and not using the rifle for other applications then it would make less sense.
    +1

It's a good price for factory loads, I bought a load of rws for my .222 at 15/20 as old stock, it wasn't worth reloading when they were at that price.
    Once they are used up I guess I will reload .222 again I reload the rest .ie..243, .270, 30-06 and it is worth the hassle for the saving.
    www.yorkshiredeermanagement.co.uk

IF ITS RED ITS DEAD AND IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN

Reloading is a hobby in itself and it's very satisfying to do it right. Getting it right needs some skill and a coach is beneficial.
    I've just reloaded 50 .308 rounds for use on Short Siberia - 200 yards - using my own cast boolits. Now that's where the saving starts and I'm making (not assembling) my rounds.
    Best group so far was from my 30-06 AI with a 190 grain cast boolit achieving 1 MOA.

It depends on your own circumstances and the amount you shoot.
    I re-load the .222 for an impoverished friend on low wages.

Bullet heads/projectiles are 15 per hundred.
    Powder charge about 12 pence per load.
    Primer about 3 pence making the total price per shot about 31 pence compared with your factory cartridges at 95 pence each.
    There is nothing matter with your factory cartridge but my friend gets more shooting at much less cost to himself.

HWH.

There is very little to no saving when home loading, you just shoot more

Neil.

What makes you think it's hassle,I enjoy reloading,making and testing,if you are happy with your factory stuff there is no need,try testing your factory stuff at 400yds and see how inconsistent they are,I won't brag but my ammo can shoot very small groups at that range,I wouldn't go back to factory now,atb swaro

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Ey up

Was out zeroing today with the Tika m595 .222. With the mod on I am now down to two hole groups at 90 mtrs (6 shot groups)

Plenty accurate for my needs for sure. So why should I reload ? I`ve been considering it for a bit,, how much would I save given that I pay 19 for a box of Sako 55gr gameheads.

Would it improve the accuracy that much ?

Sorry if any of the above sounds thick, but I know nowt about reloading,
    I would never reload to save money. I reload for accuracy, it just so happens you save money along the way. If your getting a 2 hole group and saving a few is not a big issue I'd stick to what your using because all you'll be trying to do is replicate what you've already got.

Cheers. Matt.

From my experience, I had a similar thing where factory ammo in my .22 Hornet shot awsomley well at 100 yards, UNTIL one day i bought a new batch of the same make of ammo and OMG it was like over a inch at 100 yards.....

I have also noticed that factory ammo that works at 100 yards might not work at 200,300+ yards consistently.

It will save you money but a night out on the ale would soon spend your savings . The big advantage is that you can tweak a load to your requirements, for example, you could load a 50+ grain soft point for small deer, you could load a high BC V-MAX bullet or the likes for long range varminting way out there or s very light.super fast explosive bullet for foxing at closer ranges at night. Or like me I load just the one bullet that covers all my needs very well.

The options are there for you and it can be fun to do, with great rewards and great satisfaction when you get it right.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Steve.