How will this be workable?

This doesn't bode well...and since when were airguns considered "firearms"?:-|
When someone decided/relaised they were capable of causing injury, and set the ME threshold at 1 joule. Below that they are a toy, over that but under 12fpe they are a firearm that doesn't require a licence to own or use.

They are going to need a lot more FEOs !

baconbuttiue "They are going to need a lot more FEOs !"

Yes and the rate they are processing them it`ll take 20 years

We English will soon need a "visitors" firearms licence when we
pop up to Scotland.:confused:

BTW I love Scotland, but they better be careful what they wish for :british:

The campaign to tighten air gun controls gathered momentum after the death of toddler Andrew Morton in Glasgow in 2005, who was shot in the head by a drug addict.

Typical knee jerk reaction from Gov! Let's hope the consultation raises the flaws in his idea. How the hell are they going to get any sort of control on the existing airguns in circulation????

Bonkers!

Let's think out of the box here, let's get tough on the neds and addicts who shoot at folk with airguns, lets curb the availability of illeagal drugs, lets get tough with those who break the law!

Need a cup of tea!!!

The campaign to tighten air gun controls gathered momentum after the death of toddler Andrew Morton in Glasgow in 2005, who was shot in the head by a drug addict.

And if the papers at the time can be believed who supplied the drugs, yup the toddlers parents, so the parents who so want this gun control to become law
are drug dealers, what is the world coming to when the lawmakers of the land listen to people like that :(

Neil. :)

Let's think out of the box here, let's get tough on the neds and addicts who shoot at folk with airguns, lets curb the availability of illeagal drugs, lets get tough with those who break the law!

To show the public that something is being done, it has always been the easy option to bring in new legislation, rather then enforce the current law and crack down on the law breakers.

Ian.

Another showboat excersise from the SNP dickheads,, Salmond the media whore et all.

The police are dreading this !

Yeah, great idea, because all the ****s who cause the problems are going to flock to the nearest police station to hand in anything they may use illegally, just to be sure, oh, they might even hand in the handguns, knifes, drugs, and anything else they may have that isn't allowed anymore, I can't see mr drug dealer applying for a ticket somehow

If I am reading that correctly, if passed, I will be able to take my .308 and my FAC air rile to Scotland because they are on my ticket, but I will not be able to bring a sub 12 ft lbs jobbie.

If I am reading that correctly, if passed, I will be able to take my .308 and my FAC air rile to Scotland because they are on my ticket, but I will not be able to bring a sub 12 ft lbs jobbie.

You are correct.

You may well be able to fire them in locations Wee Eck and Co 'ban' air weapons from too - if the legislation goes through.

Like we need another raft of ill defined, f*cked up firearms legislation - which cause us, the Police and Courts more hassle.

There isn't even one standard test to ascertain the power of an air weapon. The limit could be one joule or 12ftlbs - but use a different brand/weight of pellet and you can be just under/over the limit. They could test fire 20 shots and if only one is over the limit that is it - the offence is committed. About time this was addressed, never mind trying to legislate for the plonkers who will continue to abuse the system anyway.

Rant over.......time for a deep breath...............now how do I get that over in my input to the consultation process...............without the use of the sweary words.

hh

At this rate we will need a SGC, FAC and an Air weapon certificate, AWC.
if not co-terminus that will require a visit from the FEO every 18 months or so. What a nightmare!

And if the papers at the time can be believed who supplied the drugs, yup the toddlers parents, so the parents who so want this gun control to become law
are drug dealers, what is the world coming to when the lawmakers of the land listen to people like that :(

I believe they also gave him the gun

Not so Neil. The law makers are listening in this instance to the one person who will never speak. The wee boy who was killed. He was neither a drug addict or drug dealer. Yes this will be a bit more hassle for the law abiding air rifle owner/user but when this law does come in and the Police raid a drug dealers house the unlicenced air rifle that they find will be another offence and can be removed, not a weapon that at some time maybe used to inflict injury that they must ignore because as it stands is not illegal to possess.
At the same time totally agree with others re tightening up on existing legislation.

I dont think theres a problem having a ticket for a air rifle. I also think the goverment is doing the right thing trying to get them out of the hands of junkies. They also need to take a look at crossbows aswell. If you have a reason to have a gun and are trusted then theres not a problem. I think theres alot of people out there that have them that shouldnt. People up here put stronger springs in them anyway. It might skelp the poachers arse a wee bit. cheers Hootsman

When someone decided/relaised they were capable of causing injury, and set the ME threshold at 1 joule. Below that they are a toy, over that but under 12fpe they are a firearm that doesn't require a licence to own or use.

They are going to need a lot more FEOs !

sorry I don't agree.
I have a 12ftlbs PCP and it is far from "a toy"

it will punch a hole through sheet steel when using prometheus steel tipped pellets
even a lead pellet will go clear through a 1 inch board.

I dread to think what it would do to a human skull and close range.

I have no issue with a register and would happily add my details as a registered owner.

sorry I don't agree.
I have a 12ftlbs PCP and it is far from "a toy"

it will punch a hole through sheet steel when using prometheus steel tipped pellets
even a lead pellet will go clear through a 1 inch board.

I dread to think what it would do to a human skull and close range.

I have no issue with a register and would happily add my details as a registered owner.

if you read the post carefully you will see that it is only a toy if under 1 joule, yours at 12ft/lb is a firearm

As part of the consultation I am going to state that I will sell my beloved .20 HW80 rather than get another licence.
But I will conesquently require an upping of my .22 rimfire ammo allowance to 5000 to cover the shooting that I do with the HW80.
It would be interesting to see what is made of it if all air rifle users with a rimfire made a similar statement.

Ed

Back