Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: highseats

highseats

right then guys what do you think is the best hight for your highseat do you think 12ft to the seat is too high ? i know some will say its all down to the terrain in a wood in a valley or on top of a hill . im just thinking about an all round hight thats ideal in all situations.

Ask mereside he builds some quality seats he must know the average height .
    norma

I have a couple ladder stands that are about 16 feet to the seat . Have a couple loc-ons that are about 20-24 feet . When I use my three climbing stands I may go as high as 35 feet depending on the tree and how many limbs I have to cut . Truly the higher I get generally the better I like it . Even when I still bow hunted I liked to get at least 25 feet up with the bow . I expect if I break down and get a crossbow for next year in Maryland for Sika I'll still aim to get at least 30 feet off the ground .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 14-12-2012 at 20:15.

As I wrote the post above and this one I'm sitting about 24 feet up in a Loc-On tree stand .

IMO Surely height should be relevant to the location unless its a generic one size fits all seat then about 12 feet would do it.
    I have one seat that is only about 6 feet off the ground but shoots deer and allows me to see under tree limbs, any higher and my shooting range would be very restricted. Horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    As I wrote the post above and this one I'm sitting about 24 feet up in a Loc-On tree stand .
    id need oxygen at that hight

Below is one of my contraptions made from a 12 foot ladder section and the top made of rough-sawn oak.
    I shot many Roe from it along the adjacent ride.
    HWH.

Young Roe on that ride.
    HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    id need oxygen at that hight
    No it's a good sleeping height stand !

LOL's !

ALL of my stands are made such that I can sleep in them and not worry about falling out unless I am really trying to take a death jump on purpose .

I dare say the majority of the deer I kill are shot from treestands when I'm atleast 27 feet up .

I never will forget the first 6 point Sika Stag I shot was in the 1999 early muzzleloading season In Maryland . A friend and I were hunting one of our club leases that morning and we were both about 20 feet off the ground which unto itself was not unusual . The unusual thing however is that were were less then 40 yards apart and we could not see each other !

When I shot my Sika Stag he told me he was eating a granola bar and about choked on it because my shot scared the shyte outta him LOL's !

The stag I shot was about 15 yards away when I fired and at the boom of the gun he sort of crumpled . I heard him walking in the water first and saw his reflection in the water before I actually saw him . He came down the same trail we took coming to our tree's that morning !
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 14-12-2012 at 23:32.