highseats

ndt man

right then guys what do you think is the best hight for your highseat do you think 12ft to the seat is too high ? i know some will say its all down to the terrain in a wood in a valley or on top of a hill . im just thinking about an all round hight thats ideal in all situations.

I have a couple ladder stands that are about 16 feet to the seat . Have a couple loc-ons that are about 20-24 feet . When I use my three climbing stands I may go as high as 35 feet depending on the tree and how many limbs I have to cut . Truly the higher I get generally the better I like it . Even when I still bow hunted I liked to get at least 25 feet up with the bow . I expect if I break down and get a crossbow for next year in Maryland for Sika I'll still aim to get at least 30 feet off the ground .

Last edited:
As I wrote the post above and this one I'm sitting about 24 feet up in a Loc-On tree stand .

IMO Surely height should be relevant to the location unless its a generic one size fits all seat then about 12 feet would do it.
I have one seat that is only about 6 feet off the ground but shoots deer and allows me to see under tree limbs, any higher and my shooting range would be very restricted. Horses for courses.

Below is one of my contraptions made from a 12 foot ladder section and the top made of rough-sawn oak.
I shot many Roe from it along the adjacent ride.
HWH.
P1010213.jpg

id need oxygen at that hight

No it's a good sleeping height stand !

LOL's !

ALL of my stands are made such that I can sleep in them and not worry about falling out unless I am really trying to take a death jump on purpose .

I dare say the majority of the deer I kill are shot from treestands when I'm atleast 27 feet up .

I never will forget the first 6 point Sika Stag I shot was in the 1999 early muzzleloading season In Maryland . A friend and I were hunting one of our club leases that morning and we were both about 20 feet off the ground which unto itself was not unusual . The unusual thing however is that were were less then 40 yards apart and we could not see each other !

When I shot my Sika Stag he told me he was eating a granola bar and about choked on it because my shot scared the shyte outta him LOL's !

The stag I shot was about 15 yards away when I fired and at the boom of the gun he sort of crumpled . I heard him walking in the water first and saw his reflection in the water before I actually saw him . He came down the same trail we took coming to our tree's that morning !

Last edited:
Sat in one whilst waiting for foxes which had my backside about 6 feet from the ground. So low in fact that a young roe doe came along and sniffed my feet! The 'high' seat was freshly made and still smelt strongly of creosote.

Although I have hunted as high as 30', my semi-portable tri-pod has my feat about 6' off the ground. Where I set up, it's not all that benificial to be any higher. At that hight, its above the sightline of game and sent seems to diffuse or blow above the came. I usually set it in a small shrubby tree and have about a 270% field of view. capt david

only just seen this all my seats are a standard 3mtr ladder with a seat height of 3.2mtrs i have done them as small as 1.5 mtr to get under tree canopy before and the largest is 6mtr ,atb wayne

Back