Best 150 gr bullet for 308

big ears

Is there much difference between hornady, Speer, nosler bullets or is it that everyone has their favourite and if it works don't change it?

I'm kinda partial to the Nosler 150 BT and the Hornady 159 SST . Like the Nosler 150 Partition also as well as the Hornady 150 Interbond . Not sure if Nosler makes a 30 cal 150 Accubond but if they do I would imagine it to be a good one also . Now with all that being said , at the moment I'm shooting a Sierra 150 in my Mannlicher Schoenauer 308 as well as my old circa 1963 Remington 700BDL 30-06 with very nice results . For further useless info I happen to be shooting the Hornady 165 SST in my 300 WIN MAG as well as my 300 Weatherby Mag . To be totally honest I think all the major manufacturers 150 and 165 grainers to be good bullets .

I'm kinda partial to the Nosler 150 BT and the Hornady 159 SST . Like the Nosler 150 Partition also as well as the Hornady 150 Interbond . Not sure if Nosler makes a 30 cal 150 Accubond but if they do I would imagine it to be a good one also . Now with all that being said , at the moment I'm shooting a Sierra 150 in my Mannlicher Schoenauer 308 as well as my old circa 1963 Remington 700BDL 30-06 with very nice results . For further useless info I happen to be shooting the Hornady 165 SST in my 300 WIN MAG as well as my 300 Weatherby Mag . To be totally honest I think all the major manufacturers 150 and 165 grainers to be good bullets .
thanks that's what I thought but everyone you talk to seems to swear by something different to what I am using!

I am a fairly new reloader, and haven't yet sorted out a .308 load. However, following good results with Hornady 140gr BTSP in the .270, I bought a box of Hornady BTSP 150gr for the .308, for use when the time comes.

thanks that's what I thought but everyone you talk to seems to swear by something different to what I am using!

Over the years I suppose you could say I've been blessed .

Well blessed that is with a number of friends that reload and when they decide to change rifle bullets they typically give me the odds and ends or sell them to me for a little of nothing . Hence I've tried alotta bullets I wouldn't normally buy myself . Thats kinda the reason I use the Sierra 150 Spitzer in my 308 and 06 , I happened to have an almost full box someone had given me and I tried them in both rifles and they shot nicely . And since have killed atleast one deer with each rifle using that bullet .

Frankly if people didn't buy the bullets say Sierra and Speer make there would be no way they could stay in buisness and I am quite certain the target shooter market isn't what keeps them above water .

I see nothing wrong with using any of the following as long as it's one of their bullets made specifically for hunting deer sized animals ,

Barnes
Berger
Hornady
Nosler
Sierra
Speer
Swift

Now I will say I find any of the polymner tipped bullets to be more appealling to my eye . And to a slightly lesser degree I will say the same about the Berger Match Hunting bullet .

I started all this reoading etc stuff perhaps 30 years ago and I must say the selection of good usable bullets is a great deal better then it was then . But on the other hand to broad a selection isn't always a good thing LOL's !

I've been using NOSLER 150gn BT to good effect now for about a year. My Remmy 700 SPS Tactical loves LAPAU brass, CCI LR primers, NOLSER 150'gn BTs and 46.0 gns of VARGET, COAL of 2.80 inches.

image.jpg

Thats 3 rds at 100 yds. Shot-calc has it at .7 MOA. Good enough for me as this was the third similar group in a row!

ATB

Deano

(edited for arse spelling)

Use what ever works in your rifle and dose the job for you.

as said before in this thread if it works dont change it.Alot of people waste time and money changing things.

regards kev.

Last edited:
While I like the Nosler BTs any 150gn 'deer' bullet is perfect., as long as it shoots well in your rifle. capt david

Depends what you do with it, all will kill deer. Some are more accurate in a given rifle than others and some do more (ballistic tip, SST) or less (Barnes TSX) meat damage than others. This does obviously depend on other factors such as shot placement, impact velocity etc. in terms of every day lead bullets for me it's the Speer flat base spitzer but for more interesting projectiles the150 grain partition or the 130 grain Barnes TSX (which will probably out penetrate most 150 grain bullets anyway

Last edited:
Back