Thread: help on fallow fillet

help on fallow fillet

right then all,

the wifes out tomorrow night and i fancy making something with some fallow fillet but have no idea what, can anyone give me some tasty ideas.

regards
    chris

I would season it lightly, then fry on a moderate heat in butter and olive oil. Do this until lightly browned. Remove to a hot plate and keep warm in the oven.

Deglaze the pan with some white wine and reduce slightly adding a little more fresh black pepper and a good spoon of mustard. English or Dijon. Reduce the heat. Then add some cream to the pan and cook out gently until it thickens.

Take the venison fillet and slice on the diagonal slightly into 'coins'. Pour over the sauce and enjoy. Some capers scattered on top would be nice. Nice done with loin too.

Serve with - well whatever you like really. Braised asparagus? Cabbage? Large glass of strong red

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    I would season it lightly, then fry on a moderate heat in butter and olive oil. Do this until lightly browned. Remove to a hot plate and keep warm in the oven.

Deglaze the pan with some white wine and reduce slightly adding a little more fresh black pepper and a good spoon of mustard. English or Dijon. Reduce the heat. Then add some cream to the pan and cook out gently until it thickens.

Take the venison fillet and slice on the diagonal slightly into 'coins'. Pour over the sauce and enjoy. Some capers scattered on top would be nice. Nice done with loin too.

Serve with - well whatever you like really. Braised asparagus? Cabbage? Large glass of strong red

Enjoy
    Very good. I do something similar but include the capers (finely chopped) in the sauce. i dont use mustard either, just redcurrant jelly, Honey, finely chopped rosemary, and a splash of water before I add whipped cream.
    Pour the sauce onto the plate and place the fillet, whole , on top of the sauce. Seasonal vegetables and away with it. A sprig of fresh rosemary is good as is some roasted parsnip at this time of the year.
    Chris J, I respect your recipe, its lovely too.

Sounds good. Nice accompaniment is horseradish mash. Or a 50/50 mix of potato and turnip.

Making me hungry.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    Sounds good. Nice accompaniment is horseradish mash. Or a 50/50 mix of potato and turnip.

Making me hungry.

C
    Nice. Horseradish mash with roast turnip and some sweet chilly, rosemary and apple jelly.

Lay the fillet on some smoked bacon and break a little blue cheese over it. Wrap loosely in foil and put in the oven on a low heat. The cheese will soak into the meat and the flavour is amazing.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Lay the fillet on some smoked bacon and break a little blue cheese over it. Wrap loosely in foil and put in the oven on a low heat. The cheese will soak into the meat and the flavour is amazing.
    +1 but wrap mine all again in pastry and egg wash mmmm
    atb Steve

Some good idea's there, never heard of horseradish mash, i will try that.
    The best way i have found is to copy how Mike Robinson does it in the BDS dvd, it has never failed me yet, either tenderloin, loin or rump.
    Cheers
    Richard

Cut into 2 good size fillet steaks. FLy with some olive oil only on one side till brown 1/3 up and chuck the whole pan under a pre warmed high grill. As soon as the top has been brown off remove the steaks and leave to rest while you fry half a large onion finely chopped and 3 slack handful of chopped mushrooms in the juice from the pan till they are reduced down nicely. Use 2 sheets of bought pastry put the steak in the middle of each one pour over half the onion/mushroom mix onto an fold the pastry around like wrapping a christmas parcel. Place on a baking tray upside down so the plain side is facing up and the folds are underneath (the weight keeps it all closed up) cook in a warm oven at 200 deg C till the pastry has browed off nice and serve up with a small amount of gravy and some veg.

Doesnt take long to do and taste blimming lovely, its what I cook the wife as a celebratory dinner after a successful outing