Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking fun shoot - anyone game?

Cheers, it was raining as well! Most of my shots are taken from sticks so thought bipod would be cheating, believe me they'd be better than that if it was off a bipod! I'm pleased, the 2nd shot would still have been a dead deer and I doubt I'd have noticed the fact I 'pulled it'.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    the 2nd shot would still have been a dead deer and I doubt I'd have noticed the fact I 'pulled it'.
    That is true enough. I don't buy into the idea that some people claim they shoot better on deer than at targets as I suspect the target represents your true shooting ability laid bare. However, if I don't practise at targets I find it very hard to concentrate and so often find that I can lay down one or two good shots and then a wild one, in fact it isn't always even the 3rd shot that goes wild but usually the first one is OK because my mind is on the job. I could search for all sorts of excuses about barrels heating up and gusts of wind and so on but my feeling is that I just don't have the required concentration for it. After a bit of practise there is usually a marked improvement and on a day I'm feeling relaxed and the eyesight is good I suddenly find that all the problems with barrels heating up and gusts of wind just vanish and I can shoot reasonable, for me, groups.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    That is true enough. I don't buy into the idea that some people claim they shoot better on deer than at targets as I suspect the target represents your true shooting ability laid bare. However, if I don't practise at targets I find it very hard to concentrate and so often find that I can lay down one or two good shots and then a wild one, in fact it isn't always even the 3rd shot that goes wild but usually the first one is OK because my mind is on the job. I could search for all sorts of excuses about barrels heating up and gusts of wind and so on but my feeling is that I just don't have the required concentration for it. After a bit of practise there is usually a marked improvement and on a day I'm feeling relaxed and the eyesight is good I suddenly find that all the problems with barrels heating up and gusts of wind just vanish and I can shoot reasonable, for me, groups.
    I used to suffer from lack of concentration a bit shooting .22 rimfires, but with the .243 I just remind myself how expensive the federal premium ammo is (30+ box of 20) and that is enough to make every shot count!

Philip, this is a good idea. I will have a crack at this over the next day or two.

Might be embarrassing.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

It certainly embarrassed me Brian as I shot one of the biggest 3 shot groups I've ever shot. I showed it to a mate and he didn't believe I'd post it :-)

Apache posted a file of the "dot of doom" target and it appears on one of the early pages of the thread so download it and give it a go and have a bit of a laugh.

I hope you are enjoying a very merry Christmas. I'm working all this week but off to Scotland on Saturday so don't mind at all. When I come back in January hopefully everyone will have had a chance at this version of the fun shoot and I was thinking of a new one. What do you think to 5 clay pigeons off sticks at 200 yards? First 5 shots of the day, no foulers or practise, post how many of the 5 you hit?

Philip, enjoy the trip. I am off down to Wicklow on Thursday.

The five clays at 200 should be good fun. It is possible, but damn few of us could hit 5 in a row. As you know I practise off sticks regularly, including an 8" gong at 375 yards. I can hit it, but it helps to have a scope with turrets.

Quad sticks also help over a two or three stick set.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Have fun in Wicklow Brian, looks like the weather will be a bit mixed for you but hopefully you will get a few deer to help keep you on your toes.

My plan was to shoot the 200 yard targets either sitting or kneeling, I can't manage sitting but can do kneeling more consistently. Even so, as you say, it might be a bit of fun. The reason I went for 5 and not 3 was to give me some extra chances to at least hit one of them :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100yds.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	22759

Here is my effort. Range finder to 100yds, wind left to right, not strong but noticeable. .308, 150grn SST's, Lapua brass and Varget powder. Rifle is a Sako 85 20'' Barrel Stainless Varmint. Scope was set on 8x. Bi-pod used is a 3 draw Harris because that is what I normally have on the rifle. No butt rest etc.

I appreciate the foundation of the 'test' but to be honest hitting a 1'' target with the rifle zeroed at that 100yd distance first I would have thought to have a truer indication of ability as when in the field I never allow for that inch and a bit from where the rifle is zeroed for. I say this because from memory my rifle was zeroed at about 1.75'' high. The first shot I fired was a guess as to where to aim low so as to hit the circle. I though after taking it I was at risk of going too high with the next 2 so aimed a wee bit lower, perhaps 'over compensating' with the last two shots. I allowed nothing for the wind.

This combination will group at a target for zeroing purposes at around the half inch, using either SST's or Sierra Gamekings, although the Sierras are not quite as accurate.

Good fun though...
    Last edited by jamross65; 27-12-2012 at 13:46.

Right just got the 25-06 back from being cerakoted and put a new scope on it so if the rain holds off I will give it a go later off sticks

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Thanks very much, but overall the 7 shots just make a 1 MOA group. Merry Christmas. JCS
    I am disappointed.
    I assumed the first target was 2 in the same hole!! Its the least i have come to expect from you!