Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking fun shoot - anyone game?

To make it more realistic how about the shots need to be the first three of the day, no check zero, sighters, or warmers into the bank beforehand?
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    To make it more realistic how about the shots need to be the first three of the day, no check zero, sighters, or warmers into the bank beforehand?

I think that was the gist of it in the other thread ,thats what needs to be done no practice beforehand just turn up and shoot the 3, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    That is spot on the money - you put up the target, lie down and fire 3 shots. No more than 3 shots and no second chances so the first target you shoot at has 3 holes in it and that's the one you post.

triggersqueezer - if that is the rifle you use then that is the one you should use as this is just a bit of fun and you clearly value the accuracy that offers in the field enough to not mind carrying it so that should be reflected in this exercise. However, feel free to shoot another target with the HMR, but remember you shot just one group of 3 shots at a 1 inch black circle on a bit of white paper. No practise, no sighters, no shooting a group and then changing a few things and shooting another. Part of the fun will be with those people not zeroed at 100 having to aim off on a white bit of paper with no clear aiming point - just like the side of a deer.

6pt-sika - Feel free to shoot from the tree stand or from your truck, again this is a bit of fun and to see what a "normal" group and level of accuracy looks like. Your place isn't the only one where shots from the truck are not unknown :-)

woodmaster - if you don't use a bipod I think a rucksack would count as a "bipod equivalent" I just mentioned the bipod as this is to reflect practical stalking shooting so it would seem unreasonable finding people posting half inch groups that were shot with huge front rests and sand bags and so on. My view would be that rucksacks and the like are well within the spirit of the thing.

There is no closing date and this isn't a competition but rather is just a bit of fun to see the sort of groups that people really shoot rather than them having the choice of posting their best group chosen from many. So, if someone messes up and shoots a big group (I've a bad feeling now that I've started this that I am going to be that person with the red face) then we all get to learn from it and equally we can learn a lot from the people who will shoot good groups right on the black circle.

The spirit of the thing is 1 cold bore shot plus 2 follow up shots at a 100 yard 1 inch circle on a white page using your normal stalking rig from a simulated prone "stalking shot" using, as the DSC said when I did it, "a rest you would normally carry when stalking." If you carry a 40lb 50 cal Barret and use a PMII set on 25 times magnification in the field then that's what you use but the key is you only shoot one 3 shot group, no practise, no reshooting the group if you get a flier, no adjusting the zero and trying again. The first group you shoot gets it's picture taken and appears here, though by all means write some text to explain if you had a flier, or if you shot a half inch group on the black circle.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD 2.5cm target.pdf 
Views:	909 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	22457

How about this as the target? (2.5cm measured in MS Publisher)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    6pt-sika - Feel free to shoot from the tree stand or from your truck, again this is a bit of fun and to see what a "normal" group and level of accuracy looks like. Your place isn't the only one where shots from the truck are not unknown :-)
    The from the truck thing is kind of a joke as thas 100% illegal here regardless of whether it's a deer or a woodchuck . While I've not taken a pop at a deer from the truck I certainly have killed a number of woodchucks shooting off sand bags on the hood and when I was a youngster I rode around with my grandfather while he shot woodchucks out the window of his Jeep , The law was a bit more lax in the 1960's .

Around here now if someone says anything about a deer being shot from the truck window it's assumed it was someone that was road hunting or poaching .

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD 2.5cm target.pdf 
Views:	909 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	22457

How about this as the target? (2.5cm measured in MS Publisher)
    Well I downloaded your target and will print some out tommorrow !

I have a couple rifles I might try in this fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Well I downloaded your target and will print some out tommorrow !

I have a couple rifles I might try in this fiasco
    fiasco being the word
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

outside of summer this method of testing accuracy/zero is all I have!

I zeroed the .222 into a golf course bunker on November 5th in the semi dark off quad sticks!

to make it more realistic why shoot a group?
    surely you should get one shot.

post your pics of one shot cold bore, no bags/rifle jewellery at a target from a simulated stalking environment

Target downloaded, I will have a go at this as soon as the opportunity arises. atb Tim

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 17-12-2012 at 09:47.