Stalking fun shoot - anyone game?

So if I knock over a roe with a windpipe shot on a DSC2 witnessed stalk you can assure me I'm not going to get a kick in the ar-- from Chris Howard when it jumps up and gives leg bale into an adjoining wood??

I'd like to be able to quote you please even if I do remember to reload immediately!

Deer can be injured and lost regardless of where you aim. Point I was making is that the trauma caused by a bullet striking an animal is not limited to a wound channel the same diameter as the bullet being used...

Imagine 3 bullets striking living tissue with the groupings so far posted. There would be a hole in the animal you could stick a fist through. Not 3 individual small wound channels...

Mindful your fixed 8 power scope puts you at a disadvantage in terms of group size when compared to those cranking up a variable to 24 and beyond perhaps a setting of 8 or less should be imposed??

Interesting too that your group from sticks is much tidier! Perhaps best not dwell on that at the risk of reopening a can (sorry) of worms re rifles equipped with moderators and/or of need to warm up before returning to perfect zero.

The idea was that people shoot with their stalking magnification and zero - so I'm zeroed for 200 yards and find myself aiming two inches into the white page with no real aiming point just like the side of a deer. I think that is part of the fun.

My belief is that my prone group is truly representative and that the group off sticks is better just because I'd had the practise of the first 3 to get used to the target etc. I'd guess I hadn't fired the rifle since October and I haven't really been doing much shooting prone in quite some time. The whole point was the see exactly how people shoot - hence the idea that you don't shoot groups until you get one you like but rather you post the first group you shoot.

There is no hidden agenda other than to have a bit of fun and see how people shoot when they can't pick and chose the groups they post. For me it shows than I need to get in some more practise to get the eye in the way and that will be fun in itself.

Now, there haven't really been many groups posted despite a lot of views of this thread so print the target and get out there and give it a go.

I think far too many people are taking this far too seriously.
I shall be doing mine tomorrow
.243 @ 100 & 300 yds
.308 @ 100 & 300 yds
Should be a laugh as I've never shot at 300 yds before and the .308 only has a 6x42. I'll be lucky if I can see the A4 sheet let alone a 1inch dot in the middle.
Never mind, POINT AND PRESS THE TRIGGER

The idea was that people shoot with their stalking magnification and zero - so I'm zeroed for 200 yards and find myself aiming two inches into the white page with no real aiming point just like the side of a deer. I think that is part of the fun.

My belief is that my prone group is truly representative and that the group off sticks is better just because I'd had the practise of the first 3 to get used to the target etc. I'd guess I hadn't fired the rifle since October and I haven't really been doing much shooting prone in quite some time. The whole point was the see exactly how people shoot - hence the idea that you don't shoot groups until you get one you like but rather you post the first group you shoot.

There is no hidden agenda other than to have a bit of fun and see how people shoot when they can't pick and chose the groups they post. For me it shows than I need to get in some more practise to get the eye in the way and that will be fun in itself.

Now, there haven't really been many groups posted despite a lot of views of this thread so print the target and get out there and give it a go.

"Hidden agenda" was not the best choice of words but I also alluded to any "lesson" that might be learnt from what I acknowledge should be a bit of fun.

Let's hope everyone sticks to the rules but for the record I'm not re-zeroing to 200 just to make things more challenging!
Of course we might all simply ask DMQ to publish our L1 test groups shot at 100 that is not dissimilar to this test.

Cheers

K

Last edited:
Of course we might all simply ask DMQ to publish our L1 test groups shot at 100 that is not dissimilar to this test.

My L1 group was a fair sight better than the one I shot for this, a bit of pressure sharpens up the concentration I guess.

splendid idea!

thats the point, not to be done on a range.
to be done in the field at non specific ranges.

I carry a 4" square of pizza base with a 5p dot in black with me in my "bunny bag" for exactly this purpose.
If I ever feel I am slightly off I stick the knife in the ground stand one corner up the slot and retire to a suitable range...usually in the dark!

Ok, 50m as per BunnyDoom's post suits me even better. I only suggested 65 because I get the feeling that 50 - 80m is the range that most folk are working within, so 65 would be nicely in the middle.
5p size black spot is good.
Same rules as the big guns?
i.e., set up target, walk 50m back down field, turn and shoot. First 3 shots of the day. From whatever is your usual rabbiting position (e.g. bipod, sticks, offhand, wingmirror etc).
I'll have a go when it's not ****ing with rain! (wouldn't want the ink on my black spot to run - might give an unfair advantage!)
Should we start a new thread, so's not to mix up with ongoing larger calibre fun shoot?

(And no, it's not a competition).

This is brilliant guys and just what I meant when I wrote the original post i.e firing 3 shots from a simulated stalking position using your usual equipment. When I shoot like this at 100m I can pretty much guarantee my group will be 3" or less and can only manage 1" groups when I use bipod and bags etc. I will get out ASAP and then post my group.

Yesterday's attempt at 100yds to use up the final 7 rounds from an old batch of ammo. The rifle is not zeroed for this ammunition. With my stalking load (129 gr SP) I am looking to hit the outer edge of the black at 12 o'clock at 100yds. Regards JCS

I was looking forward to loads of sub MOA targets from all the chat on the 300m thread.

Fair play to all that have posted, maybe we'll see the super shots after the weekend. including me too :D

Ok, 50m as per BunnyDoom's post suits me even better. I only suggested 65 because I get the feeling that 50 - 80m is the range that most folk are working within, so 65 would be nicely in the middle.
5p size black spot is good.
Same rules as the big guns?
i.e., set up target, walk 50m back down field, turn and shoot. First 3 shots of the day. From whatever is your usual rabbiting position (e.g. bipod, sticks, offhand, wingmirror etc).
I'll have a go when it's not ****ing with rain! (wouldn't want the ink on my black spot to run - might give an unfair advantage!)
Should we start a new thread, so's not to mix up with ongoing larger calibre fun shoot?

(And no, it's not a competition).

Sounds good to me I'll have a bash at this too. Prob best to start another thread mate.

I can do .22lr and .22wmr.

I was looking forward to loads of sub MOA targets from all the chat on the 300m thread.

Fair play to all that have posted, maybe we'll see the super shots after the weekend. including me too :D

I think thats the point: its easy to shoot sub MOA off a sand bag or bipod, not so easy off sticks or an improvised stalking type rest.

Thats some excellent shooting Mr Campbellsmith.
This is me playing about with the .22 at 85 yds DIY shoot n see targets - Not able to post the target but might be of interest and linked to this thread.

I think thats the point: its easy to shoot sub MOA off a sand bag or bipod, not so easy off sticks or an improvised stalking type rest.

Sorry scarism doesn't really come across when typed.

Sub MOA "easy" for the average club shooter/stalker no matter if prone etc is very optimistic never mind some the groups we heard about on said thread. Anyway I better shoot a target and put my money where my mouth is. :scared:

Last edited:
As there is already divergence from the original brief how about three shots standing with a single stick? Or does nobody use one anymore?

Cheers

K

As there is already divergence from the original brief how about three shots standing with a single stick? Or does nobody use one anymore?
/QUOTE]

I think the original brief was for 3 shots off the bipod, or similar, but some people also mentioned sticks and as it is all for a bit of fun there is nothing to stop people doing what is handy for them or what fits in with their stalking. I also shot a group off sticks but it was a pair of sticks and it was not fully in keeping with the spirit of the thing as I had already shot a prone group.

Back