Stalking fun shoot - anyone game?

My effort at 120yds in ****in it down rain and strong winds. Top 2 from the 308 zeroed at 2"high at 100 and a guess for the target. same with the 243 on the lower target only thats zeroed 1" high at 100. All shots off my quad sticks.

View attachment 22873

4 from Arizona

Let me try this again...

I run a "Hunting Rifle Shoot" in Arizona:
Hunting Rifle Shoot at PRGC

Your 3-shot exercise looked like a good test, so I incorporated it into today's shoot. The guys liked it. They thought it was sighter shots before we went back to 415 yards to shoot paper Pronghorn Antelope.

Light turn out today, only 4 shooters. Here are the targets:

3-shots-samer.jpg

3-shots-miller.jpg

3-shots-miller-samer.jpg

3-shots-rushlo.jpg

3-shots-poole.jpg

3-shots-poole-rushlo.jpg

Poole

Here is mine from today strong wind left to right zero at 200 mtr and the 25mm square set at 100 mtr stood off sticks
rifle 300 win 180 gr and rifle un modded not great but will have another crack, atb wayne
stalking084_zps17c59098.jpg

As the OP I finally made it out today to have a crack. 3 shots off bipod at 100M straight out of it's slip using my Steyr Mountain Rifle in 25-06 using 117grn SPBT with 41grns of Varget and Federal primers. As my T8 heats up I get a drift up and to the right. It then stays there until cold again. The first shot is the important one though and I'm happy with that.

scan0001.jpg

Here is the Target from the 25-06.

Rifle had been totally stripped down and cerakoted then rebuilt with a different scope and laser bore sighted at 40m

Rifle Sako75 IV .25-06 Bartlien Barrel
Near Mfg Picatinny Rail and Near Mfg One Piece 30mm Mount
Schmidt & Bender 4-16 x 50 Classic
115gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 49.0gr IMR 4350, Win Cases, Fed 210m Primers.
Home made quad sticks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 67
Finally got out to have a go on NYD. 3 shots, prone off a Harris Bipod Shot 1 went 12mm high shot 2 was 10mm left of shot 1 and shot 3 hit shot 1. Got to allow a bit for luck here. I was using my R93 in .270/ 130gn Gameking/N160/Fed match primer load and the scope is a S+B 8x56 with duplex ret. Distance was 104m on rangefinder. virtualy no wind. Not raining. Rifle is sighted 40mm high @ 100m and the circle is drawn around a 2p coin. The ret covers a fair bit of that circle at 100m and I was holding on the bottom edge. I planned to shoot another at 200m but the first shot broke the board into pieces and I hadn't got any more amunition on me
DSCF0922_zps786f55b8.jpg

Ezzy

Here is my target with my T3 Lite in .223 63gr sp, meopta scope, jet-z mod.
Target @100y, shots taken standing off sticks.

img033 (641 x 635).jpg

Earl

Not sure if pic uploaded but 100m prone bipod and monopod every bullet .243 through same hole.....
group.jpg

Last edited:
Having been laid up for more weeks than I care to remember a bit of "fun" with the rifle seemed a good idea to ease me back into things. So, armed with my Stalking Directory target I set off to my improvised 100 yard range c/o what at best was a half-hearted stalk.

Just as I was about to get up from the prone position and head off to fix the target a roe doe walked out from cover and headed directly towards my chosen backstop! I didn't need to do much although by the time I was sprawled in the wet grass again it was clear there would only be one chance which I took as she glanced over her shoulder to locate the cause of the loud squeak I'd made.

View attachment 23141

The sudden realisation that I now had some serious work to do scuppered the three-shot group test I'm afraid but I promise I'll get around to it ASAP. Picture with blank target proof of my intention!

View attachment 23142

Cheers

.17 hmr, .243 accubond, .243 nosler ballistic tip. all off the bipod at 100m approx. I have only just started using the accubonds, initial results look like tighter groups than the ballistic tips. atb Tim

target1 (2).jpgtarget1.jpgtarget1 (1).jpg

Having been laid up for more weeks than I care to remember a bit of "fun" with the rifle seemed a good idea to ease me back into things. So, armed with my Stalking Directory target I set off to my improvised 100 yard range c/o what at best was a half-hearted stalk.

Just as I was about to get up from the prone position and head off to fix the target a roe doe walked out from cover and headed directly towards my chosen backstop! I didn't need to do much although by the time I was sprawled in the wet grass again it was clear there would only be one chance which I took as she glanced over her shoulder to locate the cause of the loud squeak I'd made.

View attachment 23141

The sudden realisation that I now had some serious work to do scuppered the three-shot group test I'm afraid but I promise I'll get around to it ASAP. Picture with blank target proof of my intention!

View attachment 23142

Cheers

Wicked

I've been out of circulation for a little while. I was wondering how everyone was doing and now that I've been reviewing the targets I decided to add up the "results" on the "black dot of doom" targets. I only counted the black dot of doom targets and not any others, though I realise that some people shot really well on other targets and don't mean this as any reflection on those who them. I also judged a "hit" as needing to be a fairly solid hit so where I was peering and thinking "does that break the black dot or not" then I didn't count it as a hit as I thought this was a practical stalking exercise where solid hits are valuable. I also counted all the black dot of doom targets even though I realise some were shot under differing circumstances depending on what took your fancy or the ground you had available.

The results are that from a total of 53 shots fired (one person fired 5 shots at a target, hence the odd number) there were 7 hits on the black dot of doom. Only one person, Mr. Lewis, posted a target with more than one hit on the dot but it should also be noted that he fired 5 shots at this target, I'd guess had he been target shooting then it would have been judged that he had more than 2 hits but as stated above I was looking for what I considered "solid" hits. So 46 of the 53 shots missed the 1 inch dot of doom.

So, certainly an interesting result so far. I'm forming a plan for a sequel to see if I might drum up some interest in another "fun shoot" with a bit of a difference as I've been really pleased that everyone joined in with the spirit of this one and that those who shot seemed to enjoy it.

Back