Stalking fun shoot - anyone game?

outside of summer this method of testing accuracy/zero is all I have!

I zeroed the .222 into a golf course bunker on November 5th in the semi dark off quad sticks!

to make it more realistic why shoot a group?
surely you should get one shot.

post your pics of one shot cold bore, no bags/rifle jewellery at a target from a simulated stalking environment

golfers will be wondering how their nice berylium copper wedges are getting scratched up so badly from the bunkers! :lol:

Well I have just had to strip my 243 down to fix the ejector so need to check zero anyway so I will give it a go this morning.

golfers will be wondering how their nice berylium copper wedges are getting scratched up so badly from the bunkers! :lol:

apparently they are more worried about the blood on the fairways!
looking forward to some snow to get some really graphic scenes!

I'm up for that... wonder how many people will be honest about it!

Below is a standardised target for anyone with access to a printer :) - click then print!

SD_Competition_Target.jpg

Attachments

• SD_Competition_Target.jpg
    SD_Competition_Target.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Well I thought I would have a go this morning as my rifle was already out of the cabinet, quite pleased with the result:

Group_270WSM_Small.jpg

Rifle is a Sako 75 in 270WSM with my homeloads using a 130gr Nosler Accubond bullet. As the rifle is zeroed at 200 yards I had to aim below the bottom of the dot and at the right hand side as I had a 5-6mph quatering wind. Target was shot from a bipod laying in soaking wet grass. The target dot is one of the self-adhesive dots and is just under an inch in diameter.

Looking forward to seeing lots more. :)

Well I thought I would have a go this morning as my rifle was already out of the cabinet, quite pleased with the result:

That is a seriously good group and first class accuracy and certainly sets the standard, though to be honest it is a standard I'm not expecting to meet. Well done.

120 paces, 3 shot quick succession off bipod, Steyr pro hunter 243, 6x42 meopta, 90 grain privi. T8 mod.

Not the prettiest group, but a real representation as I understood your post Caorach.

Tabs3group.jpg

You shoot prone with a bipod as a maximum (i.e. you can shoot standing from sticks if you want but the most support you are allowed is prone with bipod, no bags or other gubbins) and you fire only 3 shots with the intention of hitting the black "bulls eye" with all three.

Why a bibod and not the fanny pack ("bags"?) I always carry to the Hill? Or indeed the shoulders of an accommodating FCS Ranger who is happy with my commanded to hold is breath when I'm ready to squeeze off the shot?!

After getting home in what I thought was good time I printed off a target to have a go, then the phone rang and by the time I got set up it was nearly dark so I gave up the day bag prone idea and shot off a couple of bearer sticks whilst sitting on a bench, (I didn't want to get a wet arse either) 90 yds....

target dot.jpg

Ok for stalking I suppose... That dot looked awfully small...

Two 3 shot groups
Off sticks in the dark, 110yds
very cold, slight elevated firing point (approx 8ft), no wind,

I changed elevation on scope for 2nd group

1st "line" measures 31mm
2nd group measures 30mm at the widest point

all homeloads with 50gr VMax, N133, loaded with no regard for seating depth and "whack-a-mole" Lee technology.
Will get technical on them when I get the time but for now they have accounted for 13 foxes since August 22nd!

IMG_48191.jpg

Two 3 shot groups
Off sticks in the dark, 110yds
very cold, slight elevated firing point (approx 8ft), no wind,

I changed elevation on scope for 2nd group

1st "line" measures 31mm
2nd group measures 30mm at the widest point

all homeloads with 50gr VMax, N133, loaded with no regard for seating depth and "whack-a-mole" Lee technology.
Will get technical on them when I get the time but for now they have accounted for 13 foxes since August 22nd!

IMG_48191.jpg

Is that a polystyrene pizza base? good idea if so, no more soggy targets.....

Just goes to show what an accurate cartridge the 222 is if it can make groups like that with no development at all, took me ages and lots of rounds to develop a decent load for my WSM.

Lots of varmint calibres putting in an appearance, 222 and 22-250 are not really a deer calibres. :stir: :D.

I would have used my one of foxing rifles if I knew we were going to sail close to the wind.

Lots of varmint calibres putting in an appearance, 222 and 22-250 are not really a deer calibres. :stir: :D.

I would have used my one of foxing rifles if I knew we were going to sail close to the wind.

what wind?
I live in Scotland and shoot roe within the law with that .222 above

no sailing required

+1. If your going to enter then it has at least to be a calibre suitable for all species otherwise I may as well go and buy a .338 lapua and enter.

Not the prettiest group, but a real representation as I understood your post Caorach.

Wait until you see mine Tabs, it is easily twice the size of yours but still more than good enough for deer and, as you say, a true representation. My mate laughed his leg off when he saw it and didn't believe I'd post it. Just waiting for the download from the camera now so hope to have it up soon.

Back