Asthma

bambislayer

Found my self nearly keeling over on the Hill last week! I put it down to being unfit, not getting above -6 and thinking that I was as fit as I was 20yrs ago! [also trying to keep up with a younger member osf staff in deep snow!!!!]

Any way, I was short of breath all week and finally [under orders from wife] went to Doc this am.

So Doc says , I'm Asthmatic, not just an ex smokers cough!

Who else is? and do you use inhalers??

I must admit, I got a bit of a shock last week and don't like taking medication. I've said to Doc that I would get back to him re inhalers.

Are there any side affects to inhalers? Doc recomends to use 2 types, cant remember the terminology?

Should I just man up and take them??

I was also out for this morning and admit that I was struggling to keep up with myself!!!!!:(

Smoking can cause/aggravate asthma - my brother had it but grew out of it when he cut down significantly... he's still in his thirties though so might be that he'll get it back.

I still sound like muttley when I laugh and I quit smoking 2 years ago (with the odd relapse!) - I put down my unfitness to being in the office too much for too long, but come to think of it I do struggle when it's cold or dry!

Hmmmm...

Blue inhaler is salbutamol brown inhaler clenil modulite my son takes both i will not name him for the legal eagles may be watching. Ive been struggling myself for the last 5 weeks with chest infection and went for xray last thurs and the doc said i may be suffering from asthma i would say take the inhalers as we get older it can only get worse. As for my son chancers are he will grow out of it and by the way ive never smoked so dont think its because your an exsmoker cheers ****em

I'm asthmatic and have been since a child though, to be honest, it is very moderate and it is only in the last few years that I'm back on any medication again.

I find I can walk for miles on the flat but hills just murder me and when I'm unfit and the weather is cold it is a "perfect storm." For some reason cold weather seems to make it worse.

Although asthma is viewed as a trivial thing that can be treated it can turn quite nasty so it is worth taking the inhalers with you when you are out and about. If you get a nasty bout while on the hill somewhere then you could be in deep trouble all for the sake of carrying the inhaler.

I know that many people are not keen on medication but it all comes down to a quality of life thing and I always think it is better to take the medication and have a good quality of life now than to avoid it in the hope that you will "work through" the problem only to find that things are getting worse with time rather than better. Medical science isn't perfect, but if it can give you an improvement in quality of life then I'd be one to go for it.

The only side effects I've noticed with the inhaler I use is that it can give me a very slight shake in the hands. Not ideal when stalking but it's never been a problem either and my experience is that it is very short lived.

Cheers, bit the bullet! Going back on Fri to get them!!

I've been off the fags for 9years but still sound like Muttley!!!!!

First time ever, I've not been able to keep up on the Hill!!!!!!!!! Those, who know me, will remember how tolerant I am????? So maybe it's Karma, for all those poor clients, coughing up their guts on the side of the hill :D

Don't be a fool and get an inhaler.

I have a asthma, as does my father and one sister.

Moving between temperature extremes will cause breathlessness and can stimulate an attack, as can the cold itself.

Get an inhaler and keep it with you, and if you do not want to do that all the time then at least when you are on the hill. If you find you are struggling to breathe a couple of inhalations from the little blue pump will sort you out. What would you do if you had an attack on the hill when all alone or expect your shooting buddy to drag you out like a stag ??

The brown version is a steroid for use to strengthen and build up the lung capacity as a regular prescription as opposed to the blue to take when needed..

Just my 2p

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Last edited:
I have asthma and never go anywhere without the blue one, take a puff on brown then blue in morning and same at night, and if needed blue during the day if and when needed. I have lost about a stone over last year and asthma is loads better. I find the more exercise you get and if you can lose a bit weight ( if needed) makes a hell of a difference. Remember asthma can and does take lives every year so dont take the chance.

I have suffered from asthma since I was 1 year old and I will be 60 next birthday.
Treatment has changed over the years and now you dont have to suffer it takes a while to get your inhalers right but when you have them sorted you can do everything that you used to do.
I had a really bad attack about 16 years ago and the doctors changed my inhalers, I still have the blue Ventolin inhaler but I also have a purple one ( the name escapes me ) but the diferance it has made is unbelievable, my friends now say didnt you used to have asthma.

I too, have athsma, and going from cold to warm or vice versa sets it off.

Spoony - best to use the blue before the brown, as it dilates the bronchus allowing you to get more of the preventative steroid in.

The brown Clenil is being phased out now in favour of a pinky purple inhaler known as Fostair, which is very similar, but far more effective. Its a twice in the morning twice at night affair, but I have noticed a huge improvement on it. I was on one of the first trials for it.

Good luck.

your right mate my typo error i use blue first then brown for above reasons blue opens, brown keeps em open

Found my self nearly keeling over on the Hill last week! I put it down to being unfit, not getting above -6 and thinking that I was as fit as I was 20yrs ago! [also trying to keep up with a younger member osf staff in deep snow!!!!]

Any way, I was short of breath all week and finally [under orders from wife] went to Doc this am.

So Doc says , I'm Asthmatic, not just an ex smokers cough!

Who else is? and do you use inhalers??

I must admit, I got a bit of a shock last week and don't like taking medication. I've said to Doc that I would get back to him re inhalers.

Are there any side affects to inhalers? Doc recomends to use 2 types, cant remember the terminology?

Should I just man up and take them??

I was also out for this morning and admit that I was struggling to keep up with myself!!!!!:(

iwas made an asmatic about three years ago and untill very recently on a purple, brown and blue inhaler but now only a purple one

I to have asthma like many said on here is correct advice. What most find with side effects with inhales is shakes in the hands. Dogs tend to be the worse for athhmatics. Medication has improved ten fold over the years. I find keeping fit also is great way of containing it.

Ventolin tend to be the most common, but that doesn't work for me as I'm on bricinhol and some say that inhaler does make some suffer from the shakes.

I was diagnosed with Asthma when I was 5ish. It has never held me back, I have rowed, played rugby, ran, cycled, shot and fished since then. I used to be on a blue and a Brown inhaler and I had a massive rugby ball thing when I was a kid to take them through, now I am on Bricanyl which is just one inhaler that I use as a reliever. I tend to suffer most when I have a cold. I just keep an Inhaler in my vehicle as my attacks are never so severe that I can't walk.

just keep your bluey on you when you are on the hill and you'll be fine.

the only useful thing I can add to this thread is a tip that I didn't know until about 2 months ago, if you find yourself without an inhaler (I was visiting a friend and had left mine at home) and you get tight chested you can go into ANY pharmacy without a prescription and they can give you an inhaler as an emergency, You will have to pay for it and they will want your name and address and your GP's details but it didn't half get me out of a jam.

Bambislayer- Sorry to hear that you have asthma, take a look around your house, what has changed , has a new deodorant been brought into the house or one of those smelly plug in things ? Have you put a smelly Christmas tree air fresheners thing in your truck? Those smelly things nearly kill me! Things improved when my son moved out and took the deodorant (Lynx) with him!! I know every ones different but I am convinced all these chemicals are the causes of asthma.

I wish I had not read this thread now :oops:
I suffer the (painful) shortness of breath in the cold, and the colder it is the worse it is.
I have never been to the Doc's about it, and just take it easy when it hits, I have always put it
down to being over weight and a smoker along with a lac of exercise.
Couple of years ago I did try a mates blue inhaler and it helped a lot, just never followed it up.
I suppose now I should see the Doc as I noticed last year working around the lakes in the cold
it was holding me back, worse when it was frosty and doing things I'm not used to, like dragging
fallen trees about.

Neil. :)

hi guys,
I have the blue one, and also a red one which I believe is a "preventer"but there can be side effects from the red one so the nurse told me.
Should I have had my eyes tested as I have never seen a brown one!

regards

Back