Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some shotguns we picked up saturday !

Some shotguns we picked up saturday !

Pics of the guns we got at the auction saturday !
    First the Philly Fox that belonged to Elizabeth Montgomery's father . Gun has some slight rust spots . But I've gone over it a bit and hopefully lessened it . Gun is 20 gauge 28" modified and full . The gun seriel numbers to 1929 .

The little 1953 Browning Superposed 20 gauge skeet gun . The barrels are 26 1/2" and of course it's choked skeet & skeet . Overall this gun is easily 95-97% .

Finally the old Remington 48 Sportsman 16 gauge with the vent rib and Doggy Dick I mean Cutts Compensator with a spreader choke screwed in . This one has seen some use but still seems in very good shape .

The first does nothing for me, but #2 & #3 are NICE - esp. #2 - sweet looking double

Good buy!!

The Browning would do it for me
    Twenty years ago I bought a brand new Browning 325 20g 26 inch fixed choke barresl and a straight hand stock.
    The wood had decent grain but was varnished, so bought it and even before firing it I stripped and oiled the wood.
    Used it for a couple of years for rough shooting and loved it, then for some reason sold it
    I have spent the 15 years looking for another, never found one.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    The first does nothing for me, but #2 & #3 are NICE - esp. #2 - sweet looking double

Good buy!!
    Thats my fourth Superposed but only my second in a 20 gauge !
    Our other 20 gauge is also 26 1/2" but choked IC/M and that was made in 1951 .

That little Fox is the only decent 20 gauge SxS I have other then my damascus barreled W&C Scott .

I would prefer the philly fox if there were some figuring to the stock, but I bet it shoots and handles excellent with the semi pistol grip in the little twentybore. I agree the browning is lovely with a nice shaped forend and dark action, it seems there are a fair few american guns without figuring in the stock, is this the norm?. A nice little piece of history you got their 6pt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    The Browning would do it for me
    Twenty years ago I bought a brand new Browning 325 20g 26 inch fixed choke barresl and a straight hand stock.
    The wood had decent grain but was varnished, so bought it and even before firing it I stripped and oiled the wood.
    Used it for a couple of years for rough shooting and loved it, then for some reason sold it
    I have spent the 15 years looking for another, never found one.

Neil.
    Back when i still kept English Setters for Ruffed grouse I had a pair of Browning Citori 16 gauge guns . One was the then standard Lightning with 28" screw chokes , that one has the rounded pistol grip like the Superposed above that one made an excellent dove gun . The other 16 gauge Citori I had was a 24" barreled "Upland Special" and back when i was shooting competitively that was one bird killing shotgun and worked very well for chasing grouse in the mountains of Virginia . Kinda wish I had them both back , but the Belgium guns have a slightly better resale value on the American market .

Quote Originally Posted by Timney View Post
    I would prefer the philly fox if there were some figuring to the stock, but I bet it shoots and handles excellent with the semi pistol grip in the little twentybore. I agree the browning is lovely with a nice shaped forend and dark action, it seems there are a fair few american guns without figuring in the stock, is this the norm?. A nice little piece of history you got their 6pt.
    Well you have to take into consideration a Fox Sterlingworth is the most utilitarian grade of Fox kinda like a Trogan is the most utilitarian grade of Parker . I do happen to have a Fox AH 16 gauge that has some very nice wood . And several Parkers VH and GH that also have decent wood for a lower grade gun .

I'm truley intrested to see how I do in a round of skeet with the Model 48 and perhaps later back at my normal gun club a trip to the pattern board with #1 buckshot

I had a 20g Beretta Silver Pigeon III in 20g, standard factory product but with gorgeous graining, and an old english H Clarke and Sons in 16g SxS and loved them both. Whatever the configuration you cannot beat the small gauges for pointability and charm. There is something endearing about them. Just like Neil I got rid of them because I wanted a change but starting to wish I could have them back! I will try and find some pics just for auld times sake ..