Thread: Shortening my barrel

Shortening my barrel

I have a cz527 in .222 its a varmint heavy barrel. and quite long (23inch) i think. Now most of the shooting with this will be at the range. Mostly 100-200 ocastionally 300. And also crows and maybe the odd fox. Is it worth shortening the barrel. What are the pros and cons. Or should i just leave it be.
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk

Ive just had a new remmy 700 25.06 cut to 20in over barrel Atec moderator.My old gun was nearly as tall as me. So with this gun i was going to get it right. You must have it done by the best and get the crowning right. Slight lost in power but more gain that loss to me. Its lovely for woodland stalking and getting into high seats.The gun feels a better balance. good luck woodfordfallow

Leave it as it is.
    If it is mainly for use on a range then weight is not a problem.
    I had a HB .243 Sako Varminter and a HB .308 Sako Varminter and both were half-inchers.
    When I sold them I got a very high price for each of them.
    You could spend money, lose accuracy and reduce their re-sale value.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Leave it as it is.
    If it is mainly for use on a range then weight is not a problem.
    I had a HB .243 Sako Varminter and a HB .308 Sako Varminter and both were half-inchers.
    When I sold them I got a very high price for each of them.
    You could spend money, lose accuracy and reduce their re-sale value.

HWH.
    +1 if weight and length is an issue you have the wrong rifle, thats what sporter profile barrels are for
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Cheers guys...if it aint broke....i guess applies
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk

I can only agree with above, you have a rifle there that does what you want it to do.
    I have a tikka T3 varmint in .243 which I use on the range and from high seats. Good heavy, long barrel ideal for long range, a pain to lug around.
    I have a Sako 75 in .223 and a tikka T3 lite in .308 for stalking both lite and short barrel easy to lug around stalking.
    I then have a .17 hmr with varmint 16" barrel used for shooting from the vehicle and very short and easy to manoeuvre in the confined spaces.
    Point is you get the rifle to suit your requirements, not always but in many cases changing bits can cause problems.
    Wingy