Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cz 601

cz 601

hi there, does any own an cz 601 rifle(.243) just looking for some infor on this rifle, find it hard to get info on it
    thanks
    simon

what sort of info are you looking for buddy? I know quite a bit about these, but if you have a few specific questions it would be easier to address.

all the best

PKL

SD Regular
    Yes. I had one. They are genuine five shot capacity magazine, so five plus "one up" is possible. Mauser type system but a safety catch that works push forward is SAFE and pull back is FIRE. So totally arse about face compared to say the safety on a Parker Hale Mauser system trigger.

Crisp and positive feeding an ejection that was always reliable.

Came originally with two triggers. An awful straight "set" trigger and a conventional normal looking curved trigger that was a single pull. These you don't see often. Easy to change that horrible "set" trigger IF you have the other type. But they are virtually unobtainable.

Edgar Brothers were the importers. No spares available. Early models had TWO sights at the rear. An integral peep in the rearmost receiver ring and a standard placed midsight on the barrel. Both adjustable for windage with the peep also adjustable for elevation.

The foresight was a removable blade held in place by a spring plunger. Simple, quick and easy to change for a different height blade. But again no spare ones now available.

Various configurations. Early the classic style with a sling swivel on a front barrel band. Later ones the sling swivel on the forestock which on those was often a "*******ised" Weatherby type with white line space and mock ebony tip to the forestock. Except it was just the tip of the forestock beyond the spacer stained a different colour.

Superb 'scope mounting system with integral dovetails on the receiver rings and a dedicated BRNO made 'scope mount that came with a East German Zeiss-Jena 'scope in either 4x or 6x. Windage adjusted on the 'scope mount and elevation on the 'scope. The other turret giving focus.

Usually very accurate. I got 1" groups at 100 yards using Hornady 100 grain Light Magnum 243 ammunition with mine.

But like everything they are not immune to barrel wear and a worn out barrel is, well, a worn out barrel. Also the 'scope was basically German WWII technology that could still hold its own in the 1970s but is positively dated in comparison with the usuability of a 1980s West German Zeiss 4x32.

hi there, wow that info is very usefull, do you know what the twist is.
    i have a short barrel 18'' and i use 100g privi's and they seem to be fine, some people say that 100g arent to stable
    whats sort of range would i be able to short foxs at?

SD Regular
    I can assure you that it does stabilise conventional cup and core 100 grain bullets very well indeed. That it would also do so the much longer Nosler Partition 100 grain bullet I don't know. It will kill a fox at three hundred yards and beyond. Now as to if it is capable of hitting a fox at three hundred yards and beyond depends on the "nut on the butt"!

great to here, i brought my cz601, for 2 reason, it was cheap and new that cz were good value for money, but over looed the barrel twist issue and didint know that this model was as old that. but im very happy with the gun, and the 100g do seem fine which is good as i in tend to do some deer stallking to.

I have one with the set trigger, great gun and love the set trigger, very accurate with Norma 100g, if you have to ask how far you can shoot foxes with it, you need to know how good you are first.

there's a lot you can say about the 600, 601 and 602's...in my opinion, 'as they are' is fine, but with a bit of restoration and modification you can turn them into stunning tools. the action is brilliant, not the smoothest, but can be slicked up in a number of ways, from polishing the raceways to changing the extractor collar to a machined one. the crown is not the best, but can be re-cut easily. They 'can' benefit hugely from floating the barrel, which can be done in a matter of minutes, and you can glass bed the receiver area or just the recoil lug and front 1" of the barrel and rear tang for extra support and stability. the set trigger can be changed, an standard is about $40 off gunbroker. you can strip and restore the stock if you know how, same with the recoil pad, easy to install a nice new pachmayr or similar.

if you get the one on guntrader with a peep sight, you've got an investment many yanks would die for as they are VERY sought after!!! personally I'm dying to find a magnum action with a peep sight in the rear bridge, but it could take a LONG time!

if you want the ability to put a bit of TLC and DIY into it, the 600 series are great guns IMHO.

I have a 602 in .375H&H. It was said to have been extensively re-worked by a gentleman named David Perkins. At first I thought I would have to change the hogsback stock, but it mounts and points extremely well with the open sights. I will have to look out for a standard trigger - can't see me using the set trigger much!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	602(ii).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	612.1 KB 
ID:	22493

Name:	602(i).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	649.9 KB 
ID:	22492

Quote Originally Posted by theshootist View Post
    I have a 602 in .375H&H. It was said to have been extensively re-worked by a gentleman named David Perkins. At first I thought I would have to change the hogsback stock, but it mounts and points extremely well with the open sights. I will have to look out for a standard trigger - can't see me using the set trigger much!

Name:	602(ii).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	612.1 KB 
ID:	22493

Name:	602(i).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	649.9 KB 
ID:	22492
    check out gunbroker. also check it's for the magnum action, the 600 and 601 single trigger blades have a shorter stem.

rgds,

PKL