Had and lost???

Timney

Just looking at 6pt-sikas post got me thinking it would be nice to see what rifles/shotguns/others you guys have had that held a special place in your hearts, but for one reason or other no longer have them - but more importantly wish you did.....

I'll start the ball rolling .....

My very first shotgun, bought when I was 18 (I think!) a 12bore sxs W Griffiths (Manchester) BLE circa 1900..sold this as "I fancied a change!!"

WGriffiths6_zpsca0e3a3f.jpg

WGriffiths18_zps842550dd.jpg

WGriffiths7_zps4ed8bd0b.jpg

A little 16 bore No. 2 of a pair made by H Clarke and Sons - I bought this from a local gunshop as it sat on the shelf with tatty barrels, just needed blacking. Gunshop owner sorted that for me FOC as part of the sale, when it came back he wished he had kept it for himself! I just couldn't miss with this gun, it was so fast, but a guy at my dads shoot was looking for a gun for his young boy when he grew up and made me an offer, the rest is history!! :doh: This is probably the gun I miss the most...

Clarke4_zpsc83b9faf.jpg

Clarke11_zpsb9b07171.jpg

Clarke9_zpseb069ad7.jpg

....and my little 20b silver pigeon, now I wasn't as keen on the handling with this gun, it was a little straight for me, and probably couldnt shoot it as well as the others, but the overall look of the gun with the wood was stunning and I've looked hard to find anything near as attractive for the money since, bearing in mind the prices of these have rocketed since when I bought mine originally.

forendstockgrain1_zpsb211762f.jpg

StockGrain1_zps6e9ccf13.jpg

stockgrain2_zps23cc5604.jpg

let's see what guns you guys miss the most - any rifles or shotguns you wish you still had???

G E Lewis 20 bore side-by-side ejector, cased, my late father's gun. But it had 26" barrels and 2 3/4' chambers from when made. But when the stock was lengthend to fit me the stock and action would no longer fit in the case, Plus at 6' 4" tall it looked more like a "Robin Banks" job when I held it. Used to shoot clay pigeons with it as a boy with Eley paper cased No5s!

So it was sold. Oh well.

When my brother cased his shooting I was then able to acquire my father's 12 bore. Henry Clarke of Leicester, side-by-side ejector, and cased also. Given to my father on his twelth birthday in 1919. On this the case was long enough to take a lengthened stock so I had it re-stocked in fact.

A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 H & H that shot better than I could, a Brno Model 21H in 8x57 and a Merkel Model 147 that fit me like a glove.......... and a lot more if I thought about it, and I dont want to lol

AB

You seem to be very lucky and get some very well figured stocks. Very pretty.

Yes I have been very lucky, but tbh it is usually the first thing I look for in a shotgun, the rest is secondary. With rifles I have a completely different outlook, although I guess like all things this may change over the years.

When my brother cased his shooting I was then able to acquire my father's 12 bore. Henry Clarke of Leicester, side-by-side ejector, and cased also. Given to my father on his twelth birthday in 1919.

Enfield, Do you have any pictures of the Henry Clarke? Am intrigued to see if there are any similarities with my 16b Clarke?

Astra cycle single barrel, killed more with this than any other gun I,ve owned, used it so much it fell to bits, next was a w j Davis hammer gun I sold
1d8d89619b8b7f582c0e72002396e745.jpg

That is a stunning hammer gun, lovely wood and damascus barrels. How do/did you find shooting with a hammergun?

I loved it, but I only used it for pigeon if on my own in a hide, it was good on pheasant on a peg, but would not recommend walk up with one.

Here we go!

guns

Perrazzi MX8
browning b2g, A1, c3
aya no.2
dickson round action

rifles

mannlicher mod L 270
rigby 275
Sporterised 303
sauer 200
kricko stutzen 243
bsa majestic both 222 & 22hornet

The two I most regret letting go are both shotguns. A 12b semi-auto Baikal and a 20b Ruger Red Label O/U with 26" barrels and a straight hand stock. I shot like a god with both those guns, but sold them to fund the purchase of a Beretta Silver pigeon which I've never seemed to get on with.

The two I most regret letting go are both shotguns. A 12b semi-auto Baikal and a 20b Ruger Red Label O/U with 26" barrels and a straight hand stock. I shot like a god with both those guns, but sold them to fund the purchase of a Beretta Silver pigeon which I've never seemed to get on with.

just remembered, I had a Ruger Red Label 20b, can't remember where I bought it or where/ who I sold it to? Good gun though!

sold them for a gun i've never got on with ,too true, you only get one good dog and horse in a lifetime, shotguns must the same ,we get blinded by the name on the rib.

I've only ever sold two of my firearms in my life (due to bills arising from a divorce and an exploding transmission in the Jeep).

An M-14S and a AR-15 HBNM. The M-14S I miss on occasion, but not much. The National Match Heavy Barreled AR-15 however is sorely missed. I used to shoot empty soda cans at 300yds with it, with iron sights. Good golly that rifle shot true!

Back