Thread: Beginners reloading guide please

Beginners reloading guide please

As above suggests I'm about to take the plunge. Can anyone suggest the best book I can buy?
    I'm a TOTAL novice and I'm after something that takes the beginner by the hand so to speak, rather than the more advanced textbook style. I very much realise that I've got years of learning ahead, and I need to learn to walk before I try running.
    Apologies for going over old ground, any help will be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    ATB
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leej View Post
    As above suggests I'm about to take the plunge. Can anyone suggest the best book I can buy?
    I'm a TOTAL novice and I'm after something that takes the beginner by the hand so to speak, rather than the more advanced textbook style. I very much realise that I've got years of learning ahead, and I need to learn to walk before I try running.
    Many thanks
    ATB
    Lee
    Lee, put out a plea for any reloaders in your area to pop round and show you the ropes, hands on is better then any books.
    If you were nearer i would be only to glad to give you some instruction.

Ian.

Well when i started off i bought the Lee reloading kit which included the book. I had someone who helped gave me advice but the most was through reserch and trial and error. When your starting out its easy to become paranoid that you are going to do something wrong which could have disastrous consequences. Read the charts, and never go above the max charge. The internets always a good help also. My advice would be to start by finding out what other people are using in the same calibre of rifle you intend to use. Your starting of so dont try and make a super dooper load. Personally im not into fancy loads and listing to people drone on about how fast their bullet goes bores the tits off me. I have my one load and i stick to it. I shoot deer and foxes out to max 300yards, nothing fancy and nothing special needed. A good bullets one your happy with, find it and stick to it.

Lee,

What part of south Wales are you? I'd happily help you if your near me. Im In Pembroke

Al

The book you require is the Lee second edition loading manual it will give you all the information you require on what you need and how to do it.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    The book you require is the Lee second edition loading manual it will give you all the information you require on what you need and how to do it.
    I agree. How can you trust what you are being "taught" by someone with no knowledge base behind you? There are a lot of sorry reloaders out there. Better to teach yourself with the Lee book. It's not hard. I have found that most "experienced" reloaders tend to complicate things for novices.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by leej View Post
    Many thanks
    ATB
    Lee
    try this,everything made simple http://www.ammosmith.com/ammosmith-c...eo-library.php

Another + for AmmoSmith.
    Clear concise instructions on how to reload.

Triffid