Howa1500

Acm

Stopped by the local rfd today to pick up my 595 , and he'd had a shipment of howa rifles in .270 .
they are the 1500 with a hogue stock .
its a shame the bolts so small on them ( cz452 size) bar that it felt pretty good ! He was doing at a special price of £780 for the rifle in green hogue stock , nikko 3-14x50 ir , bipod and a sound mod !

I loved the rubberised stock . Nice gun! Do any of you lads use them or have any tales to tell ?

Stopped by the local rfd today to pick up my 595 , and he'd had a shipment of howa rifles in .270 .
they are the 1500 with a hogue stock .
its a shame the bolts so small on them ( cz452 size) bar that it felt pretty good ! He was doing at a special price of £780 for the rifle in green hogue stock , nikko 3-14x50 ir , bipod and a sound mod !

I loved the rubberised stock . Nice gun! Do any of you lads use them or have any tales to tell ?
search Howa on here or many other sites, and you will find they have a growing following, the cheap Hogue stocks not so much :D BTW I'm confused about the bolt size? the bolt on mine is similar in size to the standard bolts on most rifles (tacticool rifles excepted)

I;ve sighted in/shot three Howa rifles . A pair of 243's and a 308 I worked up sub sonic suppressed loads for . All three of them shot very nicely with handloads and factory ammunition .

It's also made me a bit more then somewhat intrested in a 1500 in 6.5x55 . I can get a barreled action for about $300 dealer cost and a Houge stock is an additional $100 .

The accuracy from the three I shot was astounding and on a side note the triggers on alll three out the box were very good .

It's a broad pew - and long may it be so; the only downside for most is that standard Hogue stock.

Fit and finish is a little rough in places, but mechanically very sound. Not yet come across one that doesn't group sub inch with a wide variety of ammo. The Bell & Carlson option ( for me ) makes it a winner - and I started off deciding 'I wasn't going to like them so there!' :rolleyes:

Not so enthused going around - but ( again ) each to their own.

A person at this weekend's course used one of ours in 243 - promptly churning out a 1/2" group with 105grn Geco. He turned and said - 'Well that's my choice of rifle sorted'.

Do have to say the standard mag conversion kit ( plastic ) just isnt good enough, but for a rifle this good at the price they are I can live with the integral floor-plate mag for a while.

I know Steve Beaty loves 'em.

Do have to say the standard mag conversion kit ( plastic ) just isnt good enough, but for a rifle this good at the price they are I can live with the integral floor-plate mag for a while.

My friend that has the Howa 308 I made sub sonic loads for got his and it came with the 10 round plastic mag conversion as well . saw nothing wrong with it myself . But he didn't care for it and converted it back to the normal floorplate .

Mags are ok, but plastic replacement floor plate needs care fitting ( extensive instruction on US website, but nothing in/on the packet, even then careful tightening of stock screws to recommended torque seems to split the thing sooner or later.

Front mounted mag release catch comes a cropper sooner or later - either dropping mag or breaking - when crawling about.

Love the rifle dearly, but mag kit is ( for me ) a bit of a let down.

Mags are ok, but plastic replacement floor plate needs care fitting ( extensive instruction on US website, but nothing in/on the packet, even then careful tightening of stock screws to recommended torque seems to split the thing sooner or later.

Front mounted mag release catch comes a cropper sooner or later - either dropping mag or breaking - when crawling about.

+1 Fitted it to mine, and removed it without firing, didn't feel comfortable with it at all

mines been fine, at the price it allows me to use the rifle in comps that require 10 shots, and its not been a problem out in the field either,obviously there are better units out there for other rifles but at much greater price and as far as I know not for Howa.

Back