Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shotgun certificate while residing abroad

shotgun certificate while residing abroad

hi lads got another legal question this time for me, ive just recently moved abroad so gave up my shotgun certificate however i will be back regularly so was wondering could i get my certificate even though i reside abroad?im still a uk citizen and could provide an adress , im not buying a gun would just borrow a friends when i return

mny thanks

jim

Not unless you are resident in the uk. It is highly unlikley the police will accept an address unless it is soley for your use and even then you would have to spend the majority of time in the uk. Its a question of visitors permits once you have moved abroad.

Okie doke thanks your for the reply it was just an idea ill look into the visitors permits when im getting ready to visit

thanks again

I think that providing the person who lives at the address given also has your guns on his ticket you are entitled to hold them. Ask for an opinion from your shooting organisation.

David.

The question of "residency" is a very big one and needs a certain amount of care taken in regards the contect you are using it in.

I am currently "non-resident and non-domiciled" for tax purposes and do indeed have both a shotgun certificate and firearms certificate in the UK, and shotguns and rifles. The police (Northern) are fully aware of this and in fact it was they themselves who suggested that my wife (who remains in Scotland) take out her own FC - so that she could "look after" my guns when I'm not there - which is most of the time. Works fine.

Even if you don't have someone to directly look after your guns you should still be able to have a SC or FC and keep the guns with a RFD or a friend - they need to be on their cert though. I did this when we were living en-famile in Africa. Not quite sure now how I persuaded Northern to give me an FC when I was not there but it all worked fine and there was no "risk" from anyone's point of view, including the police.

If your FLO is sensible and your relationship with them is OK I would speak to them directly and I'm sure something could be worked out. I think the main thing is to ensure the security of guns when not in use.

called them up but no joy, not a big deal though . thanks again for the advice gents

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    called them up but no joy, not a big deal though . thanks again for the advice gents
    BASC's reply, in answer to your question, was given in post 2 by M Perring their firearms and explosives officer.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    BASC's reply, in answer to your question, was given in post 2 by M Perring their firearms and explosives officer.
    i appreciate the advice but id sooner be on fire than listen to / take any advice from basc nothing against individuals but the organistion is awful in my experiance

With respect but I think you are trying to have it both ways jimbo and that's not possible. Please correct me if i am wrong but on the one hand you want to be classed as a non reident for taxation purposes and on the other you wish to be classed as a resident so that you can have a firearms/shotgun certificate. It doesn't quite work like that and I think that you will have to make other arrangements which could be those already suggested by some of the other posters who seem to have come up with various suggestions. Your FEO will obviously advice on this one.
    Last edited by 8x57; 19-12-2012 at 19:23.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    With respect but I think you are trying to have it both ways jimbo and that's not possible. Please correct me if i am wrong but on the one hand you want to be classed as a non reident for taxation purposes and on the other you wish to be classed as a resident so that you can have a firearms/shotgun certificate. It doesn't quite work like that and I think that you will have to make other arrangements which could be those already suggested by some of the other posters who seem to have come up with various suggestions. Your FEO will obviously advice on this one.
    Im not actually abroad for tax purposes and will be returning next year , but yes i get what youre saying sir i was just curious really as it would have been nice to get out when visiting, but as i say ill be back next year so not a big deal