Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody regularly use open sights

Does anybody regularly use open sights

As per the title does anybody still use open sights in preference to scoped rifle for deer stalking. I learnt to shoot with them as a youngster, used open sighted 22 Brno on the farm in Zim to shoot guinea fowl and doves and to scare baboons. On my 7x65r I have open sights and do practice with them, but just wondered if any body uses open sights in the field.

I do. This is the first year in ...many.... that I haven't taken at least one deer with an open sighted rifle. Using handgun, I always shoot open sights. I particularly like my Husqvarna 648, 8x57. It is one of the most naturally shouldering weapons I own. When I mount the rifle I am looking squarely through the sights.~Muir

Perhaps I should I missed a sitter munty at 100 yards with a scoped rifle yesterday

I'll be using my BRNO ZKK 30-06 with open sights for a few roe deer this winter. Not expecting anything much above 50yds, in fact, hoping to stalk a few into well under that point. why,,well, why not.

Just put open sights on my sauer. Have apel mounts so just got to take scope off and set them up. I intend to use them mainly as back up if scope were to get damaged etc but do like the idea of doing a few stalks (woodland) with only the open sights. I think we should at least have a reasonable level of accuracy using these and to try get close enough to take good shots. All adds a bit of extra challenge.

I have often wished I had the option of open sights as I have stalked into deer in the mist and then can't see them when I put the scope on them. A real pain. I've been very close to hinds which I could have shot with open sights easily and, just last week, a roe doe escaped for the same reaon.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    As per the title does anybody still use open sights in preference to scoped rifle for deer stalking. I learnt to shoot with them as a youngster, used open sighted 22 Brno on the farm in Zim to shoot guinea fowl and doves and to scare baboons. On my 7x65r I have open sights and do practice with them, but just wondered if any body uses open sights in the field.
    Yes i use open sights on my 44mag 1892 win it's a marbles tang sight and is very good for woodland deer stalking.
    All the best lever man.

yes i use express sights on 30-06 ,fine on a rifle stocked to use the iron sights , most rifles are stocked a little high on the cheek to use with glass sights that they assume will be fitted , and the issued sights will proberly need some work to get the best out of them ,if they need new sights fitted ,you proberly can fit a scope for the same money ,i use a lot of rounds keeping a constant sight picture in my mind ,so i dont find my fore sight getting lost on a plain target .To me the great joy of using a rifle ,is using open ve sights a kneeling position well practiced can get to be solid ,perhaps with the sights being down on the barrel lets you get locked down well, as to poor light long range and so on ,i dont take the shot ,i arnt starving i just enjoy the day.

SD Regular
    All my rifles have, and have had, open sights. Except on my 270 Parker-Hale they were, and are, also zeroed. I'll get around to doing the P-H in the New Year when I have some spare cash to put Leupold QR mounts on in instead of the current Redfield "Turn In" system.

I purchased a Parker Hale custom No 4 in the late 70's. In those days the dimmer switch on my eye sight
    had not been activated so I had no need for a scope.

Now, I have telecsopic sights on my 2 centerfire rifles, however I still use iron sights on my model 62 winchester
    that was my fathers rifle. I have found that if I focus on the foresight I can still get a rabbit on the run.

If you can manage without a scope dont use one. However for a clean kill shot on larger game at a distance I
    would always need to use a telescopic sight.

Regards Neilo.