Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rook rifles

Rook rifles

I have never shot one, but does anybody on here have one, either in original calibre or lined to 22rf / hornet. They look to me to be lovely little rifles to use.

I have a H&H rook lined to .22rf with a 6x42 Zeiss I use it all the time for dropping magpies from one of our bedroom windows in Germany, in the country I must add. 100 year old and still very nice to use.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I have a H&H rook lined to .22rf with a 6x42 Zeiss I use it all the time for dropping magpies from one of our bedroom windows in Germany, in the country I must add. 100 year old and still very nice to use.
    Martin
    Martin - not surprised you have one - could be jealous!

i have one in .38 spl

I have a hankering after one too but they are not cheap anymore, Martin you are a lucky guy.

This is a great source of info..

The Classic British Rook and Rabbit Rifle: Amazon.co.uk: Colin Greenwood: Books

If you drop the hint heavy enough the other half just might get it for you for xmas.

One thing bothers me though. You buy a section 58 rifle (no certificate needed) and then source all the reloading gear, get it shootable and obviously get it added to your ticket. But when you come to sell it, is it still a section 58 ?.

Obviously the feo is the one to ask but does anyone know?.
    Last edited by private fraser; 18-12-2012 at 16:33.

once you take a antique rifle off your ticket it then becomes a section 58, but I think that does depend on your area/feo. I had a 577/450 space on my ticket and had a variation put in for another caliber with no problem

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post

One thing bothers me though. You buy a section 58 rifle (no certificate needed) and then source all the reloading gear, get it shootable and obviously get it added to your ticket. But when you come to sell it, is it still a section 58 ?.

Obviously the feo is the one to ask but does anyone know?.
    Yes, once you sell the rifle it reverts to sect 58. There's no need to notify your constabulary beforehand, but you obviously need to notify them of disposal. What I've done in the past is to inform the FEO of the new owner's name and address and include a declaration in the letter that I no longer hold any ammo in the calibre in question. I've never had a problem doing it this way.
    My own Rook Rifle is a H&H, centre hammer, side lever single. It was originally in .295 (.300) Rook, but because the bore looked like a sewer pipe I had it re-lined to .32-20 By Dereck Fearn.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Thanks for the replies.

fraser

.300 Rook? Wow. That had to be a chore finding/making brass... .32-20, though still not very popular, had to be worlds easier to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Yes, once you sell the rifle it reverts to sect 58. There's no need to notify your constabulary beforehand, but you obviously need to notify them of disposal. What I've done in the past is to inform the FEO of the new owner's name and address and include a declaration in the letter that I no longer hold any ammo in the calibre in question. I've never had a problem doing it this way.
    My own Rook Rifle is a H&H, centre hammer, side lever single. It was originally in .295 (.300) Rook, but because the bore looked like a sewer pipe I had it re-lined to .32-20 By Dereck Fearn.
    Is Dereck Fearn still active and cn he still relign barrels?