Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a starting load

Recommend me a starting load

I've just got into reloading and have produced my first batch of .243 win which I'm happy playing around with as my Tikka T3 varmint deals well with everything I've put through it.

I have also got a Tikka T3 lite which I have never been truly happy with,
    I started with 165 grain Federal which shot all over the place
    I tried Federal & Privi 150 grain which were better but I still seemed to get a fair few flyers
    I tried Sako 123 grain which seemed better but at this low grain I may as well use my .243 100 grain anything with more confidence.

So I'm looking for something (hunting) about 150 grain in .308 win that would work well in the Tikka T3 lite synthetic that I can then work with
    Thanks Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    I've just got into reloading and have produced my first batch of .243 win which I'm happy playing around with as my Tikka T3 varmint deals well with everything I've put through it.

I have also got a Tikka T3 lite which I have never been truly happy with,
    I started with 165 grain Federal which shot all over the place
    I tried Federal & Privi 150 grain which were better but I still seemed to get a fair few flyers
    I tried Sako 123 grain which seemed better but at this low grain I may as well use my .243 100 grain anything with more confidence.

So I'm looking for something (hunting) about 150 grain in .308 win that would work well in the Tikka T3 lite synthetic that I can then work with
    Thanks Wingy

do what i did when i was looking for a load for my .270 win i looked in one of my re-loading manuals , i can under stand the getting a starting load from some of the forum members may be the easier and cheaper option , but look in a book find something that tickles your fancy and load it and shoot it and nearly every time (im my case anyway) they worked !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I would have thought that the powders available to you would make a difference too, unless you want to pay hazmat charges for a delivery. State what powders you have and you can get easily and someone will help you. A quick look at reloadersnest will show you 77 loads for .308 with 150gr !

I don't know if I worded my request quite right or if it is interpreted different in my head (most things are) I shot a few things as listed through the rifle and it doesn't seem happy - grouping is poor, with regular fliers.
    I don't know if the bullet weight is not suited or the velocity too fast/slow
    I just wondered if someone has a similar rifle and a load that works for them?
    I have once fired Federal brass, Federal large rifle premium match primers and hodgsons H 4831 powder.
    However powder can be bought if recommend
    Cheers Wingy

Have you just bunged a few rounds through, or have you made up ladder charges, varied seating depths?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Have you just bunged a few rounds through, or have you made up ladder charges, varied seating depths?
    With my .308 I've done nothing re home loads yet, I just can't seem to find anything (factory) that it seems to like consistently.

With my .243 I made up as you describe ladder charges using 2 different bullets.
    Wingy

is it possible the crown could be buggered? made a massive difference to mine having it chopped and recut

You say that you are having fliers, how many rounds are you shooting when you are trying for a group? Don't forget that it is a light sporting barrel and allow the barrel to cool down between each attempt at a group.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You say that you are having fliers, how many rounds are you shooting when you are trying for a group? Don't forget that it is a light sporting barrel and allow the barrel to cool down between each attempt at a group.
    I've put 3 rounds through it and got a 2" group @ 100yds. I was happy, then took a 70yds shot at a roe and although it dropped it the shot was 4" higher than aim point.
    Next a 100yds sitter and completely missed got a second shot and it was spot on.
    Back to target and 4" group @ 100yds
    A 80yds roe and a ridiculous low shot almost underneath requiring an immediate 2nd shot.
    I've checked and changed scope / mounts. Crown looks ok. And I've had the rifle from new 3 years ago.
    I don't think it's me as I don't have these issues with my other Tikka (243) Sako (223), CZ (22) or CZ (17 hmr).
    Wingy

have you got a mod on? on my .308 the bullet was catching the mod slightly until i had it bored out a touch