Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAC Renewal & Your Doctor Is Notified

FAC Renewal & Your Doctor Is Notified

Just had the FAO round for my renewal and all fairly standard. Like if I get my 6.5x55 approved then I will have 10 rifles and more than that I will need a house alarm so be it.
    But on the general questions are you of sound mind ect, did I need pill for depression or any epilepsy ect. I was told that on renewal my GP will be informed that have been granted an FAC.
    was there anything I needed to tell her. No!
    I was then told how it was affecting applications and renewals on little misinterpretations of visits to GP or persciptions.
    Seems there no where to hide.thats if your trying to hide something. So your GP will be informed no way out of it.
    Glad it's over and done with.

Andrew

This is wrong IMO, GP's can't be expected to remember who has an FAC therefore it will be added to your medical files for ALL NHS staff to see.

A far better system would be for all GP's to place anyone whom they thought unfit to hold FAC on a register which could then be accessed by the police. The upshot of this would be : the police don't get to see your medical records and Doreen the gossipy receptionist at the doctors doesn't know you own firearms.

nothing better after a stressful week at work than to get out hunting
    ....or you might visit your doctor and tell him work is too stressful
    ... he might say you are suffering from stress
    ,,well its on record now...........

Yep not be long till you get your license revoked for suffering from flu or cold it's coming lads

When i moved about this time last year, i naturally had to sign up with a new GP. I made a point of telling him I'm an FAC holder and that he may/may not, some day hear from the police regarding a renewal or whatever. He just waved it aside as if it was nothing new to him.
    So i think it may be that Sussex do a quick casual phone call as standard as well. Can't say that it really bothers me to be honest, especially as i know i have nothing to worry about.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Had a frank and interesting chat with FEO recently about licensing. He was saying that they don't even ask GP's and that GP's cannot give out information anyway. Police can only request information if they deem that it is absolutely in the public interest. What's more is that info costs £60. So more than the license fee. Another reason that they don't really check.
    When I asked why we have to sign ridiculous forms that mean absolutely nothing he said that they were at least trying and had to show a duty of care!!
    So actually the medical part it would seem means nothing and is rarely, if ever checked on
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

My GP would say "Simon who?... sorry, don't know him"
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

On what grounds is the local GO qualified to say whether someone is or isn't "fit" to own a firearm?!

most GP's don't know their patients, rarely see them and to be brutaly honest, probably need as many text books as they can get their hands on.
    I use my local clinic that rarely has the same doctor there for longer than a year or two, three of them I categorically will not use.
    I have had GP's miss Pnuemonia (child), Pnuemonia (me!), Fungal skin infection (child) all progressing to much worse than they would have been if they have been spotted or referred at the first point.
    half the time I have to help them in their "diagnosis"....without the aid of google!

I dread to think what their hit rate on signs of depression, suicidal tendencies etc are given they are infinitely more complex.

Involving GP's is an exercise in posterior protection by the Chief Constable and just gives one more avenue to lay blame or pass the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post

A far better system would be for all GP's to place anyone whom they thought unfit to hold FAC on a register which could then be accessed by the police. The upshot of this would be : the police don't get to see your medical records and Doreen the gossipy receptionist at the doctors doesn't know you own firearms.
    What an excellent idea, I hope that BASC will mention this to ACPO

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    nothing better after a stressful week at work than to get out hunting
    ....or you might visit your doctor and tell him work is too stressful
    ... he might say you are suffering from stress
    ,,well its on record now...........
    Spot on and just as I firmly believe the desire to retain one's FAC makes for a more law-abiding Subject/Citizen (I've walked away from all kinds of poop when a little younger), we are now encouraged to be less of a burden on the NHS and with potentially life-threatening consequences.

Yes, that is how passionate I believe most of us are about our way of life and fear of having it spirited away at the click of a mouse.