Swanndri or Montane Extreme jacket???

Can't comment on the Swanndri but the Montane jacket is excellent. The pile & pertex construction is great for cold weather and if you are going to be reasonably mobile should be all you need with maybe a thin breathable base layer underneath. If you were sitting out for long periods you might need a thin fleece underneath and a shell on top. The pertex is totally windproof though and although not waterproof it is so efficient at shifting moisture away from the skin that it remains warm even when damp. Buffalo (different manufacturer, but same pile/pertex system) used to market their gear as being able to take a full immersion underwater and then be back to full thermal properties after 10 minutes exertion. The cut of the Extreme jacket is fairly neat (think 'technical' is the modern turn of phrase!) so bear in mind how you're going to use it. It works best worn close to the skin but that obviously won't leave room for additional layers. Hood is also excellent - very warm and fully wired.
Cheers,
Andy

What do you want it for? Pertex and pile is an incredible good combination, lightweight, warm, windproof but its noisy. Swannie stuff isnt what it used to be now it isnt made in NZ which item are you thinking of? The shirts arnt that warm when used on there own as the wind just whistles through them, the thicker jackets and smocks are better but weigh a ton and more so when wet. They are however very hard wearing and quiet something the pertex and pile isn't something to think about if your moving through cover or using for stalking. Be a little careful with sizes with swannie stuff too as if you have a decent ape index the arms are fairly short. Both are good choices but for different things.

Swannie is warm, even when wet, silent, comfortable, very water resistant, long at the back and not too heating. The jip front is an improvement. recommended

ive had and abused a swandri for around 5 yrs now and its still the longest serving stalking jacket i own !

infact i think it will ou live me !

cant recomend them enough

I use a montane extreme almost everyday and although it's not waterproof it keeps me dry in light rain and keeps the wind out when I'm on the quad.

Back