Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two hangfires last night any suggestions?

Two hangfires last night any suggestions?

Help/suggestions please.

We were out foxing last night with a Remmington .17 Fireball using factory ammo. Remmington loaded with 20grn V max. My shooting partner suffered 2 hangfires. The first was an audible click as the firing pin struck the primer and the round went of what seemed ages later, probably a second.

The second occured in a similar fashion but with less delay. After that we tried a third round which fired correctly. We decided to call it a night. Two now potentially v lamp shy foxes but at least the shots were from elevated positions so the bullets on both occassions went into a safe backstop.

Custom built rifle which has always performed faultlesly but new batch of factory ammo.

What causes the hangfire and what should we do?

In both cases the primer had been clearly struck and looked no different from a normal fired case.

Thanks

D

Take the remaining ammunition back to the shop & let them send it back, money back or replacement with different batch numbers, primer issue probably.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Had a similar thing last night with Remmy amo in a .17hmr. Now have a bullet up the barrel that needs removing. Extremely annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Take the remaining ammunition back to the shop & let them send it back, money back or replacement with different batch numbers, primer issue probably.

This is not the first time I have heard of duffy 1.7ammo. There were some big problems I believe with Federal ammo a short while back. I have a good friend who is lucky to have his face intact after a round stuck up the barrel, after which he loaded another and the rifle exploded causing burns and cuts to his face and hand.

Take the ammo back and make a complaint.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Hi,

slightly different and I hope the OP doesn't mind. Last Friday night when testing loads I had a round that failed to fire. I followed procedure, I.e kept it pointing to a safe backstop and waited.
    nothing happened and I carefully extracted the round, primer had been struck firmly and I re-chambered the round and tried again. Again no detonation and again I waited for a few minutes and then extracted the round. On both firings I positively heard the firing pin strike.

At the end of the session I removed the bullet to examine inside the case, all the powder had burnt and sealed the case below the bullet. The bullet had not moved at all in the case and their was no noise from the primer/powder.
    It was loaded at the same time as the other 29 rounds I fired that evening. Any ideas?? It looked like the powder had just gently smouldered inside the case.

Regards
    Tim

It is very worrying when you pull the trigger and nothing happens, then the round goes off, for it to happen twice on successive foxes is a bit annoying esp as the one has given us the run around for ages.

Safety aspect is very worrying I suspect we may have a batch with defective primers but it would be nice to know how a hangfire occurs.

I am well aware of the issue with .17HMR which at present seems all too common, but for it to happen on a centre fire with factory ammo is I would have though to bevery rare.

D

Hangfires are just that, a fire waiting to flare up properly, primers that are not properly filled/mixed/ formed, correctly, and or powder that has deteriorated / got damp or oiled, oil/grease/lube on the case, contaminating component parts, rainwater getting in past the primer, or through a poor crimp.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Had a similar thing last night with Remmy amo in a .17hmr. Now have a bullet up the barrel that needs removing. Extremely annoying.
    if we knew where you lived there is most likely someone out there that can help.

i have the right tools (know how to get this sorted) for this kind of task BUT, i have no idea where you are.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Howa i have had it happen to me with Hornaday ammo the way i got around it was to push a cleaning rod down the muzzle end without any attachments and push it out that way but mine had only lodged just past the throat lucky as i only found out by trying to load another round which would not load also i use a one piece cleaning rod take it with me every time noew just in case

Paul D

Quote Originally Posted by paul dillon View Post
    Howa i have had it happen to me with Hornaday ammo the way i got around it was to push a cleaning rod down the muzzle end without any attachments and push it out that way but mine had only lodged just past the throat lucky as i only found out by trying to load another round which would not load also i use a one piece cleaning rod take it with me every time noew just in case

Paul D
    If your going to do it this way, and there is nothing wrong with it, please only do it with a rod that has the female thread.
    That way the rod will centre on the bullet tip, and not try and wedge down the side, which will mark the bore.

Neil.