Thread: Re: european firearm pass for ammunition?

Re: european firearm pass for ammunition?

If i were to take my rifle into france while in possession of a european firearms pass, does this also allow me take my own ammunition as well,other wise whats the protocol?
    thanks in advance.

Gelert,

Yes.

Flew into Paris in October and French Customs weren't bothered. Guns and ammo came out on the carousel.

Stan

Gelert, there have been loads of threads on this forum about this, but "military calibres" are banned in France. So, if you have a .308 or a 30.06 it could be sticky.
    Other people on here know more about this than me.

SD Regular
    Re the original question. Taking ammunition is a good idea as, strictly under the law in France an European Firearm Pass is just that and NOT an authority to purchase ammunition! A French friend with a Permis de Chasse can, as a "straw" buyer purchase ammunition but you without one? A lot of French gun shops will refuse to sell it to you regardless of your EFP. No Permis de Chasse = No Purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Re the original question. Taking ammunition is a good idea as, strictly under the law in France an European Firearm Pass is just that and NOT an authority to purchase ammunition! A French friend with a Permis de Chasse can, as a "straw" buyer purchase ammunition but you without one? A lot of French gun shops will refuse to sell it to you regardless of your EFP. No Permis de Chasse = No Purchase!
    I have never being stoped from buying ammo with my euro pass when in France maybe I have just being lucky

I too have purchased ammunition using only my EFP.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I went to buy two boxes of 7mm-08 last week in the local gunshop in Normandy as I couldn't take my own on the Eurostar and wasn't required to show anything whatsoever. Now they really should be a bit more diligent than that, but my in-laws tell me that they tend not really to bother... Still, I'm not one to insist on extra paperwork when it's not necessary. In France they don't enter purchased ammunition on your Permis de Chasser or anything.