Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pigeon magnet

pigeon magnet

does anyone out there know how too make a pigeon magnet from some type of household motor or something like that. would love to buy one but cnt afford alot of spare cash and was wondering if there was anyway of building your own or if anyone has attempted it before

Paul

Get an old car winscreen wiper motor. Bolt that to a short poll,Then make a top in a y shape with box steel,Then for the arms 1/4 round bar in a shape to hold the pigeon's. Arms about 1m.You may need to try the wires on to find the slow speed.You need access to a welder to make the poll and arms. 2m wire and two croc clips. One 12v battery and your way . I have made several my proto type from ten year is still going. Good luck.

Built my own many years ago works well using a windscreen wiper motor ,involved a fair bit of welding and some basic fabrication work not rocket science wiper motor from scrap yard and scrounged metal from the farm scrap bin .
    norma

thansk for that. that was my general idea of how too make one. ill have a rake around the scrap yard for old motor then see where we can go after that.

does the wiper motor let u get 360 rotation?

I used the motor of a 12v garden strimmer had to put a dimmer switch in to slow the speed down but it worked well. Fabrication of bracket & arms as described above, but I used fibreglass poles from an old tent for the arms
    Wingy

Yes it's the cam on the arms that turn 360 into 180

Will try and put a pic up tomorrow
    norma

Made mine out of an old VW scirroco windscreen wiper motor. It was a bit fast though so I'd recommend getting one of the 'magtame' type speed controllers. Have it so the battery is close to the magnet and not on a long wire back to the hide as it will drop too much power! Don't bother with dead bird cradles either! Dead birds are very heavy and look like - dead birds! Their tails fold in and look unatural. Best get some of the modern foam/flock type ones which are very light and can be put out on longer arms. I made some out of black foam rubber and used grey primer and tippex to make them look like pigeons. They work a treat!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by pablo.222 View Post
    does the wiper motor let u get 360 rotation?
    yes from most cars