Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamfering

Chamfering

Why is there a need to chamfer the outside of the case as well as the inside ?? I can see the point of the inside but not the outside as it does nothing.
    Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy View Post
    Why is there a need to chamfer the outside of the case as well as the inside ?? I can see the point of the inside but not the outside as it does nothing.
    Cheers Chris
    Chris. I chamfer the outside of the neck in order to try and get consistent obturation. With cases like the 243 Ackley I am using just now, I don't trim or chamfer. I do check the case length. With my 260 Rem cases, I usually trim and then follow up with an inside and outside chamfer. Prior to outside chamfering, I run my thumb over the burr on the case mouth to see how much there is and then check it again when I think I have chamfered enough.

If you scroll down this link, there are some illustrations of case necks - Rifles / Ammunition / Ballistics / Reloading / How To Correct Bullet Run Out:

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 19-12-2012 at 20:34. Reason: url added

by chamfering the out side you are actually stopping some of the roughish edges catching when feeding a round also stop the same edges scratching a chamber over time
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Chris. I chamfer the outside of the neck in order to try and get consistent obturation. With cases like the 243 Ackley I am using just now, I don't trim or chamfer. I do check the case length. With my 260 Rem cases, I usually trim and then follow up with an inside and outside chamfer. Prior to outside chamfering, I run my thumb over the burr on the case mouth to see how much there is and then check it again when I think I have chamfered enough.

If you scroll down this link, there are some illustrations of case necks - Rifles / Ammunition / Ballistics / Reloading / How To Correct Bullet Run Out:

Regards JCS
    Thanks for that JCS very informative.

You don't need to put a visible chamfer on the outside rim of the case neck, just one light pass of a de-burring tool is usually enough to take off any rough edges left when you've trimmed the case, which, as said above, might otherwise catch on the feeder ramp or scratch the chamber.

The internal chamfer should be no more than 1/16th of an inch deep and is there to assist the base of the bullet into the case neck without damage to the neck or the bullet base - I have found the K&M chamfer tool to be the best. Even better, invest in a calibre-specific Giraud trimmer and trim to optimum case length, chamfer and de-burr in a single pass...

A.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    You don't need to put a visible chamfer on the outside rim of the case neck, just one light pass of a de-burring tool is usually enough to take off any rough edges left when you've trimmed the case, which, as said above, might otherwise catch on the feeder ramp or scratch the chamber.

The internal chamfer should be no more than 1/16th of an inch deep and is there to assist the base of the bullet into the case neck without damage to the neck or the bullet base - I have found the K&M chamfer tool to be the best. Even better, invest in a calibre-specific Giraud trimmer and trim to optimum case length, chamfer and de-burr in a single pass...

A.
    Agree. The whole idea is to remove as little brass as possible. I too like the K&M chamfer tool. Regards JCS

another good little tip is to polish the neck after cutting with wire wool,this makes it real smooth and removes any burrs left,I made a tool to fit in my drill which can be packed with wool,take s a few second per case

all good tips and the km is loverlky to use
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    another good little tip is to polish the neck after cutting with wire wool,this makes it real smooth and removes any burrs left,I made a tool to fit in my drill which can be packed with wool,take s a few second per case

Yep same as above. Cheap as chips wire wool soon takes any nasty edges off and cleans it right up

Thanks for all the input guys.
    Chris