Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snap caps

Snap caps

Does anybody out there use snap caps in there rifles. I did, but when the firearms officer came round he was not happy about it. I surppose I should have taken them out first.

Regular Poster
    I don't use them in my rifles but do in my shotguns. Bit random that he disliked them. With respect, did you hand him the rifle with one in it or did he take it out of the cabinet himself? - just trying to think why he may be have been so unhappy What colour are your snap caps?

Dark purple I did tell him before.

When I purchased my .223, I got hold of a pair of snapcaps, to use in "dry practice" Which did get me used to a new rifle and the feel of the trigger. I always ejected them and they were never kept in the rifle or magazine either.

I'd have told him tough their your rifles if you want to use snap caps use them nowt what so ever to do with him !

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I'd have told him tough their your rifles if you want to use snap caps use them nowt what so ever to do with him !
    calm down slim

270rem,

The reason for keeping the snapcaps in?
    If to release the firing spring before storage why not hold the trigger down before closing the bolt.

Stan

I use them in my break action rifles but other than for dry firing don't see any purpose in a bolt action rifle because you should de-cock as you lower the bolt (depressing the trigger and gently lowering the bolt).
    In any case I don't see how he can comment as when you removed the rifle from the cabinet you will have opened the bolt and taken out the snap cap before handing him a proven safe action open rifle. While he then checks for himself that the action is indeed clear you will show him the snap cap just to prove that it was only a snap cap in the rifle. I always make a point of saying to anyone in the immediate area when I remove snap caps "it's only a snap cap" so as no one gets the wrong idea.

Now stand by for the start of the debate again on storing bolts in rifles. Well my point is what is the use of removing bolts when half the rifles in the cabinet are break action anyway.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 270rem View Post
    Does anybody out there use snap caps in there rifles. I did, but when the firearms officer came round he was not happy about it. I surppose I should have taken them out first.

why?
    Did he disagree with the policy of releasing the firing spring or was he just being a nosey public servant with the usual delusions of grandeur and control?

My FEO told me on my renewal visit that he has been handed LOADED firearms and shotguns in the past! I cant really see why yours should object to this though, especially since you had the presence of mind to inform him before hand ( though he may have had a bad experience as above ) You obviously know what you are doing. It is common practice with shotguns.