Any thoughts on Ruger 77/22

clived

I am looking for a .22 rm for rabbits etc.. and have seen a Ruger 77/22 for sale .It comes with scope and mod for £350 . does this seam a good deal or could i do better ? (The scope is tasco 3.5-9 x 40 ,mod unknown ) Thanks in advance and seasons greetings to all however you celebrate.

There Marmite rifles some people love them some hate them. I know where there are some 22lr match barrels going cheap for these actions

I have four of the 77/22: Two in 17HMR with extra 22WMR barrels, and one in 22LR, and one in 17 MachII. They are good actions and all of mine have the good checkered walnut stocks. The barrels are hit and miss, in my experience, and as it happens, all of mine have custom barrels. One of the original 22WMR barrels was fit to a Ruger Model 96 lever action and it drives tacks so that one was obviously a good one. Replacement barrels are inexpensive and install in 5 minutes with and allen wrench.~Muir

To add to Muir's post:

Just be advised, all newer 77/22's are NOT drop barrels; they're all threaded now (I suspect due to the 77/17HH model now being popularized). It does beg the question about a 5mm variant potential though, on their now "standard" 77/22 action...

They can be interchanged, they just won't sit flush (the 77/22 mags are angled along the bottom). At least the LR's will...

Last edited:
I've no experience with the 77/22, but have owned 77s. As was said above the barrels can be a little fussy. With the vast amount of 22 ammo avaliable, I'm sure you can find one that your gun likes. I got into 22s several years ago and shoot them alot. I especially like the 22s, like the 22/77, that are similiar in size and feel to 'deer' rifles. Even reloading for centerfires, I can shoot 100 rounds with the 22 for what it costs to shoot 10-15 rounds of CFs. I get plenty of trigger time that improves my shooting. Plus they are a lot easier on the body/senses. capt david

On my 77/22, I use the after-market 25 round "banana" mags, when shooting off the back of the wagon.
Saves a lot of field time re-loading.
Mine shoots 1/2" at 60yds with most ammo, - I think some of the centre fire 77/22s can show accuracy problems, with the two piece bolt getting the blame. The remedy is to shim it.
cheers, Tedward.

I have a 77/22 stainless synthetic rimfire with a 2.5 x 10 x 50 scope and what a great little rifle it is never lets me down

clived,
back to your original query, this was advertised recently on another forum:

"Ruger 77/22 allweather in .22 lr
Sak mod.
High rings
Bushnell 3-9x 40 scope.
Leather sling
PH copy bipod and spigot.
2x ruger 10 round mags.
Gun bag.
200 rounds ammo.
Front factory sling loop removed for spigot.
£300 posted to your dealer,£250 collected"

just for interest/comparison, - I've no idea on condition etc. but it's difficult to shoot out a rimmy barrel!
cheers, Tedward.

I have to say, I have a couple, but lately my favorite has been my rebarrel .22 Mag, with a nice tapered octagonal barrel and rimfire scope with a turrets calibrated for the drop of a 40gr .22 WMR.

Ruger 77-22 Octagonal.jpg

She shoots pretty well and is a delight to carry afield.

Tedward ; thanks for looking and posting the above info it looks like a much better offer. Much appreciated
clived

Hey! Did I know you had that one???:-|~Muir

Not sure, I put her together a few years ago and haven't shot her in over a year. I should get her out and runs some ammo through her. I think she's buried in the back of one of the safes, I just happened to have had the picture handy.

Then again, I may have hidden her from you; you already got one good 22 WMR from me that I regret letting go (but she went to a good home at least). :D

Not sure, I put her together a few years ago and haven't shot her in over a year. I should get her out and runs some ammo through her. I think she's buried in the back of one of the safes, I just happened to have had the picture handy.

Then again, I may have hidden her from you; you already got one good 22 WMR from me that I regret letting go (but she went to a good home at least). :D

Come on now, Marine. Let's put things into the proper perspective! The only reason I own that rifle is because I got between you and the nearest landfill when you finally reached your limit of patience with it! If you remember, it wouldn't shoot groups inside a peach basket when you gave it to me. I spent a month of spare time and 20 boxes of ammunition alternately lapping and adjusting that rifle before it got to shooting like it should. (The only CZ I have ever seen that shot badly out of the box) Face it, Amigo. If I'd sent you the bill for the hours I put into that rifle you could have bought two new ones for the price.

It is my favorite .22WMR of all of them, and I do thank you, but let's not let time's dust settle on the facts!:D
And yeah. It shoots REALLY well. Still.~Muir

(Any hope of you coming to the SHOT show in Las Vegas?? or is that definitely out?)
CZ22WMR50MFED062RED-1.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! Rub it in... :D

As to the SHOT Show, sadly not this year my friend. I'll be otherwise detained, playing with giant remote controlled aircraft...with bombs on them.

LOL! Rub it in... :D

As to the SHOT Show, sadly not this year my friend. I'll be otherwise detained, playing with giant remote controlled aircraft...with bombs on them.

Well. Somebody has to do it. I'll miss your towering presence. Our NJ buddy will be there. He sends his regrets...~Muir

I have the paddle stock 77/22 lr, one of the first in the uk I think, great rifle, you do need to change the trigger, mine has had 4in off the barrel as I prefer a shorter barrel for squirrels.

While accuracy is most certainly relative to the person . I have seen some Ruger 77 rimfires that shot very well and some that didn't and typically as has already been stated here the ones that shot well had aftermarket barrels on them .

I was all wound up about the 77-17HMR Varmint when it first hit the market and after getting one and shooting several hundred rounds thru it I was quite disenchanted and down the road it went !

Now if I were in the same boat I'd get an aftermarket barrel and keep it .

Back