Help with ESS

goldypurple

As some of you are aware, i took on a 6 month old ESS bitch, ive had her nearly 2 months now, im quite happy the way she is progressing with her training, albeit she is well and truely nutty.

The problem im having is that when she is put to bed in her kennel, some time through out the night she wets herself, now im unsure if this is during her sleep or too lazy to go and wee, but she is stinking from laying in it, if i put bedding in the kennel, that is also sopping by morning, now i have removed the bedding, ive found that the box she sleeps in is wet.

This is starting to annoy my wife and i, as she is stinking when she is allowed in the house.

has anyone any tips on trying to cure what is happening

Thanks in advance

Is the dog actually shut in her bed or can she get out into a run. If she is shut in I will assume that she has been taken out to relieve herself prior to being put to her bed. It is fairly unusual for a dog to wet it's bed. Even very young pups will crawl from their bed to relieve themselves. Has this just started? Maybe worth a trip to the vet just to rule out a medical problem. If this boils down to either laziness or territorial marking I would consider taking the dog indoors and house training her. I have a dog spaniel who always cocks his leg right next to the entrance to his bed. Totally territorial. This is my kennel.

Thanks guys, she is house trained, she never wets in the house, and always looks to be let out.

Last night I made sure it was dry before putting her up for the night and this morning it was dry however, after getting home from work and checking it is wet.

will try and keep an eye over Xmas as home, so will review and may take her to vets to be checked over.

Thanks guys, she is house trained, she never wets in the house, and always looks to be let out.

Last night I made sure it was dry before putting her up for the night and this morning it was dry however, after getting home from work and checking it is wet.

will try and keep an eye over Xmas as home, so will review and may take her to vets to be checked over.

You say you took her on and was six months old now eight months one minute she is in the house then next left in her kennel. Remember she is still a BABY and it seems to me she is confused you do not say how she was kept before you got her. Any puppy should be initially kept as you would want to keep her/him indoors all the time or outdoors all the time untill a good period of time has elapsed is it you that brings her in at night/daytime when your home or is it your wifes maternal instinct that askes you to bring her in and because she is confused and stinking of pee your wife now thinks that there is a problem. You did not say if you took her out last thing before putting her to bed and how long you were leaving her. Remember some dogs get house trained in a week some take months as do BABIES in nappies they are all different. Give her a regular routine and if need be as i did with one of my Spaniel dogs that did my head in making a mess in his run get up every hour in the night and take her out for a pee/dumpy to educate her that she is to do it where you want and not in the kennel. It took me two years with my young dog to kennel train him to be clean he has never been in the house but always messed his run until one day the penny dropped. Remember to praise her when she has a pee and dumpy where you want her to. Good luck.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Back