Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wheel/tyre size for Hilux

Best wheel/tyre size for Hilux

Can anyone recommend please the best size of wheels to put on a Hilux, I'm going to buy a set of bfg mud terrains to put on through the winter months.

i will look on mine tomorrow, too tired now!
    i have bfg all terrains
    cheers
    richard

Either 10.5x30 or 11.5x31 inches of course !

Oh yeah and thats on 15 inch wheels . Same I had on my Nissan back in the eighties and what I've had on a pair of Chevy S-10 EXt Cab 4x4 ZR2's for a number of years . I use them year round .

I'm running 17" Dick Ceepek alloys on mine with 285 / 70 x 17
    Mastercraft Courser A/T2. They rub slightly under the front wheel arch just on turning. A 65 profile would clear fine. I've always managed to get it out of the mud these are a very good off road tyre. My Hilux is a 57 plate HL2 extra cab
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
    Can anyone recommend please the best size of wheels to put on a Hilux, I'm going to buy a set of bfg mud terrains to put on through the winter months.

running 255/60/18 General Grabber AT at the momment, will be looking at a set of BF Mud Terrains on some cheap black steel rims in 16's shortly

Hilux wheels come in 15, 16 and even bigger on the newer range. Also in 5 and 6 stud.

If you are going for a winter tyre, I would go with something thinner especially for snow. BFG AT are phenomenal in snow - don't know why, they just are, but don't go with big fat ones. The KM2 in 255.85.16 would be a very good choice and last for years/miles but may not be quite what you're after.

It really depends on what wheels you have on as to what tyres you CAN fit. Or you pick a tyre then find the wheels to match. I have a set of Hilux steel rims with 37. 16 .9.5 on. They get me anywhere. I wouldn't go wider then 265 myself. Not for Winter. Shame you can't get the 255.85.16 Cooper ST anymore. They'd be perfect.

Chris

265/75/16 or 235/85/16 provided the machine has 16" rims
    a barony original

My Hilux is fitted with BFG TA All terrain in 30 x 9.50 x R15 obviously that is 15" rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    Hilux wheels come in 15, 16 and even bigger on the newer range. Also in 5 and 6 stud.

If you are going for a winter tyre, I would go with something thinner especially for snow. BFG AT are phenomenal in snow - don't know why, they just are, but don't go with big fat ones. The KM2 in 255.85.16 would be a very good choice and last for years/miles but may not be quite what you're after.

It really depends on what wheels you have on as to what tyres you CAN fit. Or you pick a tyre then find the wheels to match. I have a set of Hilux steel rims with 37. 16 .9.5 on. They get me anywhere. I wouldn't go wider then 265 myself. Not for Winter. Shame you can't get the 255.85.16 Cooper ST anymore. They'd be perfect.

Chris
    Not 100% sure but i think the Mastercraft Courser range are the sister company of Cooper tyres. Worth a look if yo like the cooper range
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Not 100% sure but i think the Mastercraft Courser range are the sister company of Cooper tyres. Worth a look if yo like the cooper range
    Wingy
    Hilux never have 5 stud, i dropped from 16'' to 15'' on my 2004 doublecab then stuck kumho mudterrains in 31x10.5x15. Superb tyre, minimal noise, hard wearing and great off road in snow etc.