Thread: Deer skin wanted

Deer skin wanted

Hi

Im after a fresh deer skin to make leather from. Ideally a head or neck shot or very small and clean entry/exit holes. I'm in the Hampshire area near to Odiham if any stalker nearby can assist. Please PM.

Many thanks

John

If you can get up here John I have a couple that would do,two Roe and a Muntjac

Martin

Be interested to see the outcome John. Always been under the impression that deer skin makes poor leather as it is very thin ?

David

When you say "want to make leather", can I ask what sort of leather you are talking about? I have a fair amount of experience in experimental archaeology and have (successfully) made quite a bit of both brain tanned and oak/bark tanned leather from deer skins, species ranging from Pere David's down to Roe in size.

Just as a helpful point/warning, wild deer often have lines of scars down their backs, especially in the centre and some quite deep, from where they go through/under barbed wire. This can make the leather in these places very hard to soften if brain tanning, and they show if oak tanning (and can be a bit brittle). If you plan on making something, bear this in mind.

Feel free to PM me if I can help, but if you are experienced and I am trying to teach you to suck eggs, tell me to s@d off

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Be interested to see the outcome John. Always been under the impression that deer skin makes poor leather as it is very thin ?

David
    My wallet is deer leather. My wife got it for me at the Cardross gamefair a few ago. Ive looked for the seller at other gamefairs but Ive not had any luck.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by purdeydog View Post
    Hi

Im after a fresh deer skin to make leather from. Ideally a head or neck shot or very small and clean entry/exit holes. I'm in the Hampshire area near to Odiham if any stalker nearby can assist. Please PM.

Many thanks

John
    Bugger - I binned a couple of roe skins last week!

I'll PM you next time

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)