Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 06 Factory Ammo Whos Do You Recommened And Why?

30 06 Factory Ammo Whos Do You Recommened And Why?

Hi Members

As the title states 30 06 Factory Ammo Whos Do You Recommened And Why?

Im sure theres lots on here who have had more experience than me just so im looking for more info from members, such as how many Grns, Bullet type (if you know?), Grouping size at ? yrds ? And Cost.

And something suitable for Deer in the UK, And Boar shooting.

Thanks

A mate who doesn't reload swears by Federal for his .30-06, think he favours a 180 grain head and they certainly knock down Red's at any sensible range.

Same as Blitzking, I've used Federal 180 Nosler Partitions alot over the years, really good ammo, but pricey. A large amount of guys here like the Fusion ammo for deer and elk. That being said, try out as many brands as you can, one will be more accurate than the others. For the game you're after any good standard cup and core 180 gr bullet will do the job.

Good Hunting AB

federal fusion fantastico regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by AndyAitchison View Post
    Hi Members

As the title states 30 06 Factory Ammo Whos Do You Recommened And Why?

Im sure theres lots on here who have had more experience than me just so im looking for more info from members, such as how many Grns, Bullet type (if you know?), Grouping size at ? yrds ? And Cost.

And something suitable for Deer in the UK, And Boar shooting.

Thanks
    For me, sako game head 123gr have given me great results. Fast, flat and accurate. Group was < 1" and was, i think, 30 a box. Shot red, fallow, muntjac and roe with them. Possibly excessive meat damage if not spot on with shot placement but thats my fault. Sure theres plenty of good options out there but now home load all ammo with even better results.

ATB

I've had quite a bit of success with the following 3 types of ammo:

winchester ballistic silver tips 150grn, a little expensive grouped sub 1", meat damage can be a little excessive.
    federal classics soft nose 150grn, solid round sub 1" group.
    geko 170grn soft nose, sub 1" group minimal meat damage.

hope hat helps

Most deer in Texas are basically the same size as the deer in the UK. I also shoot lots of Pigs. If I were buying, I would buy the same thing that I reload, 165 Nosler Partitions. These are avaliable in the Federal Premium line. 2" high at 100yds dead on at 200yds around 7"-8" low at 300yds. Although these are not cheap, it's accurate and deadly. My second choice would be Hornady 165 Interlocks. I have not tried Fusion Ammo, but have heard good things about it. capt david

i am currently shooting winchester 150grn powerpoint shot every species of britsh deer this year. can put big hole in little deer( munty and cwd) but stops everything dead.
    less then inch group at 100yrds.
    quiet cheep too also you can go online to the winchester ballestic chart and check out all the combos they do.
    very intreasting charts.

Thanks for your comments, keep them coming its making for interesting reading.

ATB

After some thought, I have to agree with Captdavid.I forget that we're talking UK deer hunting,an all-round bullet here includes dealing with some substantially larger animals (moose, elk) I,m a big fan of Nosler Partitions, and a 165 or even a 150 would probably serve you better. The 165's retain energy better over long distance than the 150's. One of the reasons I like Partitions is they expand slower than standard bullets on smaller deer, so they aren't overly destructive. That being said, I've never shot Roe, Muntjac or any of the smaller species, so I cannot honestly give you advice on bullet selection. Theres a lot of experienced people on this site who can however, and I'll respectfully leave that to them

Good Hunting AB