Hello

Think I'm got my hand slapped for not writing enough . I live near Langholm and I am a Gamekeeper , I don't have a lot of experience with deer so quite enjoy reading stuff from you 'experts' :) . I would like some advice on a rifle , I have not got a pot to ..... so have been looking at cheapies and at the moment am waiting on a reply as to wether or not the one I want is still available it is a Lakelander 389 .243 £399 what do you think ? Also what ( budget ) scope do you think I should get.

Welcome mate , just buy the equipment you can afford ..........it's how you use the equipment that counts and field craft etc

Cheers 223 I was looking at an old BSA but saw the Lakelander on Guntrader and it looks really clean and well looked after and it's not much more money but I don't know anything about them.

Welcome to the site mate. I've never heard of a Lakelander so can't really help with that but I use a zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 scope (£600) and I reckon this is about the best new scope you'd get for that sort of price tag. A bit less (£450ish) but still very good is the Minox ZA3 3-9x40. I would say that a new CZ zkm550 lux rifle is an excellent starting rifle at (£640) and it might be worth paying the extra £240 for a new gun as with second hand it can be a bit of a gamble if you don't get the gun thoroughly checked by a riflesmith.

Thankyou Buckaroo08 I am in talks with someone on here now about a T3 (change your mind why don't you) but that is a bit more than I can afford for a scope right now , yes I know you get what you pay for and quality lasts but any thoughts on the Nikko sterling stuff ? I can upgrade scope later , as for getting the rifle sorted I'm only a stonesthow from Border Barrels so they can check/sort that side of things out for me.

I honestly don't know about Nikko Sterling but there are a few nice looking second hand scopes on here in classifieds including a Leupold vx1 4-12x40 for £200 and a fixed power german Schmidt & Bender for a bit more money.

Back