Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A line in the Sand.

A line in the Sand.

Ok. So I take my buddy Dennis into the Trading Post last week and his long awaited Savage Long Range Hunter .308 is in. After glass, rings, sling et al, he's out $1700 US. He's happy but man! Times are tough and he is developing the same bad habit I have of walking into the Trading Post and finding another thing he can't live without. We are both disgusted at our each-own self indulgences.

Yesterday we happened into each other at the Post. He was buying a Springfield Armory XD-S compact .45 ACP pistol (a fine pistol and on that basis, I approve) and I was there to deal on a CZ 453 heavy barrel that had been on the rack, dusty, for seven years now. At $10 over the original dealer cost I can't pass it up. Dennis is plonking down $525 for his pistol. We look at each other from the opposite ends of the gun counter and we shake our heads. We are such addicts.

When the paperwork was done we agreed that as a New Year's Resolution, neither of us would buy any rifle or handgun (priced over $125 US) in 2013. No layaways. No nothing. The high dollar stuff is done with for a year. The one who violates the agreement has to pay the other $100 cash.

This is public notice that I have gone on the wagon, so to speak. ~Muir

Muir, you are a silly man, you are bound to lose no matter how hard you try
    I am a bit like you, but with our arcanian laws we are less likely to buy anything on a whim, but it has been known to order something and then chase up the paperwork but by the time it is all sorted the shine has been taken off the purchase.
    I am sure if our laws were anything like yours, I'd have a new rifle/pistol or something on those lines every time I entered the Trading Post

Muir. Would this new years resolution prevent you from buying a number of $125 guns then exchanging them for one with a higher tag? I thought I'd ask as with most addictions the addict always looks for a way round any imposed rules that try and curtail their habit. Either you or your mate bound to stumble with the habits you have. Sorry to sound so negative at your obvious realization that you spend too much money on rather too many guns as it is admirable that you both are to attempt a reduction. I hope you can resist that next nice shiny gun at "the post" or it's going to cost you.
    Happy christmas, and I feel a frustrating new year ahead.

So you are not going to spend over €125. On either another pistol or a rifle in 2013
    MUIR you certainly know how to rub it in lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    as a New Year's Resolution, neither of us would buy any rifle or handgun (priced over $125 US) in 2013
    Prepares web server for a flood of "I just went into the Trading Post and there was a XXXX for $124.99" posts!

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Muir. Would this new years resolution prevent you from buying a number of $125 guns then exchanging them for one with a higher tag? I thought I'd ask as with most addictions the addict always looks for a way round any imposed rules that try and curtail their habit. Either you or your mate bound to stumble with the habits you have. Sorry to sound so negative at your obvious realization that you spend too much money on rather too many guns as it is admirable that you both are to attempt a reduction. I hope you can resist that next nice shiny gun at "the post" or it's going to cost you.
    Happy christmas, and I feel a frustrating new year ahead.
    Hmm.... Actually, I never trade guns in.

Rick: That $125 mark means that it is either a SMOKING good deal, or a real piece of junk. Those options aside, that $125 value means you won't be buying anything. We just needed that escape clause.~Muir

Now, there is the last scenario that my skin flint buddy won't figure out:

A $1000 rifle is on the block for $450. I buy the gun, pay him the $100 penalty, and I'm still money ahead. Damned devious, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Prepares web server for a flood of "I just went into the Trading Post and there was a XXXX for $124.99" posts!
    That would be great!~Muir

I'm looking for a vintage Kimber hornet for no more so give me the nod if anthing comes up.

Cheers!

K

There's so many get-out clauses.... rifle priced at $124.99 with $xxx.xx sales commission...... rifle priced at $124.99, scope separate at $xxx.xx.... just ask anyone, well, married!

Looks like you'll have a hard time if you don't manage the test of wills. Lots of people watching.