Missed Doe

jackfish

Went out yesterday morning to one of my permissions to have go from the high seat, got there just as daylight was starting to show an interest and got set up. It was a horrible morning weather wise but I thought I would stick it out to see. Now I only waited about a half an hour before I seen movement to the left of me at about 70-80 yards out, got the bino's on it just to double check it was a Doe, tush was seen just as she managed to slip behind a bush. Waited a further 10 minutes and she re appeared presenting a perfect broadside chest shot. I steadied myself, placed the cross hairs on her chest, pulled the trigger and completely missed. There was no reaction to the shot apart from her making for the hills at a rapid pace. I was shocked to say the least, I climbed down and went and checked the shot site, no sign of blood or hair. To say this has knocked my confidence is an under statement.

Only a thought but have you checked the zero on your rifle? Loose screws or taking a knock. Just an idea.

David

Did it Monday off sticks at 100 yards with a pro guide felt a complete tit but it happens .i hate shooting with someone over my shoulder .but at least mine was a small munty :D
Put it behind you .
kind regards
norma

We've all done it, took a 100 yds shot at a buck a few months ago rock steady everything was just right. It dropped into a ditch and I thought it was a done deal. Then it appeared about 20 yds further down 2nd shot didn't miss and first thought was I'd dropped 2. No such luck, first shot was a clean miss and I still can't explain why.
Wingy

Apply for your level 1 as then you will never miss!!! then your level 2 taking you to stalking Ninja status....

Well worth the money....:stir:

Just a bit of fun before the usual numpties get a tick on their balls :doh:

Cheers lads

I managed to shoot a fox at 30/40 yards after it off the sticks. I checked zero the previous day and it was an inch high at 100 yards which is what I'm zeroed at. I was going to check it today again but this weather has put a stop to that. Will have to check again when I get back from offshore after new year....:cry:

Rgds Bryan

Apply for your level 1 as then you will never miss!!! then your level 2 taking you to stalking Ninja status....

Well worth the money....:stir:

Just a bit of fun before the usual numpties get a tick on their balls :doh:

That's good news I must be half way to becoming a Ninja!!! lol

Cheers lads

I managed to shoot a fox at 30/40 yards after it off the sticks. I checked zero the previous day and it was an inch high at 100 yards which is what I'm zeroed at. I was going to check it today again but this weather has put a stop to that. Will have to check again when I get back from offshore after new year....:cry:

Rgds Bryan

Well looks like zero is fine so would put it down to one of these things that happen. Like others have said can and will happen to anyone. Nothing to worry about as you have taken the fox after it.

David

Tin hat on here but personally the dog would have been on that one. 70-80 yds with a rifle zeroed at 1" High at 100yds, rock steady on a chest shot. No blood or hair does not necessarily mean a clear miss.

Yep that's a possibility Gazza, hence the reason I followed up from where the doe was standing when I took the shot to where I watched it run too, it cleared the ditch crossed a newly planted field, I followed the tracks which were clearly visible. When I got to the end of the field I spooked it again from behind some fen bushes not 5 yards in front of me and it was looking none the worse for wear, couldn't say for certain but made sure to the best of my ability without having a dog at hand. Dog on the way next year for this reason exactly!!

Cheers Bryan

Tin hat on here but personally the dog would have been on that one. 70-80 yds with a rifle zeroed at 1" High at 100yds, rock steady on a chest shot. No blood or hair does not necessarily mean a clear miss.

Couldnt agree more . .

I clean missed a shot at a fox off sticks at 100yds ish a few weeks ago and test fired next day to find one of the screws holding the bipod together was loose and when up on sticks the bipod feet were touching the moderator and throwing the shots way off target.... Missing an easy shot can really knock your confidence and I found the only way to get it back is to shoot targets until 100% happy again. Also I would try your best to find out why you missed or else you will always wonder if it might happen again.

Last edited:
The man did his ultimate best to follow it up but no that wasn`t good enough because he didn`t have a dog.
Same old, same old.................

There are many on this site with dogs available who are only too willing to go out and help.
If followed and bumped again could this not suggest that after making good its initial escape it had laid up to assess its damage / wound. If not it hit I would have thought it would have been long gone. Only my opinion from my follow up experiences which are few and far between
Wingy

Went out yesterday morning to one of my permissions to have go from the high seat, got there just as daylight was starting to show an interest and got set up. It was a horrible morning weather wise but I thought I would stick it out to see. Now I only waited about a half an hour before I seen movement to the left of me at about 70-80 yards out, got the bino's on it just to double check it was a Doe, tush was seen just as she managed to slip behind a bush. Waited a further 10 minutes and she re appeared presenting a perfect broadside chest shot. I steadied myself, placed the cross hairs on her chest, pulled the trigger and completely missed. There was no reaction to the shot apart from her making for the hills at a rapid pace. I was shocked to say the least, I climbed down and went and checked the shot site, no sign of blood or hair. To say this has knocked my confidence is an under statement.

Shjt happens check the weapon and get on with it .

The man did his ultimate best to follow it up but no that wasn`t good enough because he didn`t have a dog.
Same old, same old.................

Basil

The point in putting a dog onto a 'miss' like this, is to establish for certain that the beast has indeed been 'missed' cleanly. It is a control track. If the weather was bad, I assume windy if it's the same as down here, it is often very difficult to find hair from a wounded animal at a shot site. The dog however, will indicate that far better than you searching with the naked eye. The dog should then be allowed to follow the beast in the hope it will indicate blood or other matter that may not begin to be left until even after 200m or more, and thereby give a better idea about where, if at all, the animal has been struck.

It is a small task to undertake to ensure the welfare of a deer that has been shot at IMO...

You are correct, same old, same old. And it is that very practice that should be employed every time to offer the best outcome...

Back