Thread: Failure to report a suspected notifiable disease in deer?

Failure to report a suspected notifiable disease in deer?

Hi All,

I always do things by the book when it comes to staying on the right side of the law.
    In the past 12 months I have culled 2 deer which at the time presented with what appeared to be TB infected lymph nodes.
    The first was a red hind, as it is a notifiable disease I reported my findings as we are legally obliged to do, 6 months later (yes 6 months!) I was informed my suspicions were correct and it did indeed have TB.
    The second was a roe buck, which was 4 months ago, still waiting on the result.

But as I stated above, I fulfilled my obligations as a trained hunter and reported both as the law dictates, but my question is what would happen if a deer stalker didn’t report his suspicions as he should have and was found out? Has this ever happened?

Cheers and merry christmas

Richard
    Last edited by devon deer stalker; 23-12-2012 at 11:51. Reason: spelling

Did you put them in the food chain ?

HWH.

It didnt go in the food chain, if circumstances had been different in theory it could have, discussions on that have previously been posted here http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ormed-what-now and this thread has also been touched in in that thread.
    Cheers
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Did you put them in the food chain ?

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Hi All,

I always do things by the book when it comes to staying on the right side of the law.
    In the past 12 months I have culled 2 deer which at the time presented with what appeared to be TB infected lymph nodes.
    The first was a red hind, as it is a notifiable disease I reported my findings as we are legally obliged to do, 6 months later (yes 6 months!) I was informed my suspicions were correct and it did indeed have TB.
    The second was a roe buck, which was 4 months ago, still waiting on the result.

But as I stated above, I fulfilled my obligations as a trained hunter and reported both as the law dictates, but my question is what would happen if a deer stalker didn’t report his suspicions as he should have and was found out? Has this ever happened?

Cheers and merry christmas

Richard
    I have no idea what would happen, I wouldn't imagine that much. It would be almost impossible to prove that you knew the animal was infected and done nothing about it. Like you say though, always best to notify if you suspect.

Ads

That is very true, proving it, but if it could be proved i suspect the ramifications could be severe.

But the law is if you suspect a notifiable disease you are obliged to inform the AVHLA vet.
    But of course there are unscrupulous people out there who might for whatever reason ignore their findings to avoid the perceived complications associated with finding something suspect.

Cheers
    Richard