Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 reloading info please.

.243 reloading info please.

hi guys,
    i shall not only be getting into reloading soon but also getting a 243!
    i all ready own 17remington and have the recipe for the round which is rem brass federal match 205primers 23.5grain of vit n135

what id like to ask people is there a good recipe using the same powder n135 for the 243 if so what bullet heads have you used, weight brand etc and would ideally like to load one round for all jobs.

i understand there will be tweaking etc but a starter would be handy.

the rifle i intend to purchase shall be tikka t3 lite i belive from tikka website its a 1 in 10

thanks lads
    Last edited by thesmi; 23-12-2012 at 16:35.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmi View Post
    hi guys,
    i shall not only be getting into reloading soon but also getting a 243!
    i all ready own 17remington and have the recipe for the round which is rem brass federal match 205primers 23.5grain of vit n135

what id like to ask people is there a good recipe using the same powder n135 for the 243 if so what bullet heads have you used, weight brand etc and would ideally like to load one round for all jobs.

i understand there will be tweaking etc but a starter would be handy.

the rifle i intend to purchase shall be tikka t3 lite i belive from tikka website its a 1 in 10

thanks lads

Id be tempted to go for good ol' varget. Does the .17 and .243 and pretty much everything else too. As for a 'do it all' load for the 243, what is 'all'? Do you use on deer? If so, that should be your priority, targets on mod ranges? No expanding ammo, so your deer load can't be used. Varmints ? V-max, varmint and target, A-max.
    You are correct, the t3 is a 1/10", so might stabilise 105gn A-max if you want to shoot 1000yds, a good 'middle ground' for vermin, foxes and target shooting is the 70gr smk's. lots of variables buddy, give us more 'intended use' for better answers.

Pete
    Last edited by The tramp; 23-12-2012 at 19:39. Reason: Bad grammar

hi thanks for reply,
    i intend the 243 to be fox and deer odd other vermin long rang blat, not targets or ranges!

i certainly wont be shooting 1000yards but id be very very happy with 300

what do you mean by varget?
    thanks

+1 on the varget
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

i use varget and H4895 with good results, with 95gr nosler partition or 95gr nosler b/tips

cheers jock

Try working up to this load.
    It shot similar sized groups in my Tikka T3 sporter.
    The 1 in 10 twist rate prefers the 75 grainers and similar.
    HWH.

on average how many diffetent powders and bullet heads do you buy?
    or would you buy say one powder and try many bullet heads then when you find something half good adjust what you have,

what effect do primers have

Small local dealers usually have a poor stock of ingredients due to a low turnover and often have to order specially.
    This wastes much time and if you are loading for a few calibres it can be a nuisance so I try to find a powder which can be used in more than one.
    The .30/06 and .270 etc work well for me with Viht. N160 but I load a farmer friends .30/06 with Varget which also worked well in my .308 .
    In the last few years I have mostly used Viht.N140 for my .243s and those of other friends.
    For the .222 I use BLC2 .
    With regard to primers I never use magnum primers in these calibres. The hotter flame of them can cause higher pressures. [ Sometimes you can `fine tune` a load by using a different primer.]
    Segregate your brass as that of different makers may have different internal capacity therefore causing variations in pressure and scatter upon your target.

HWH.

Due to local availability I use N140 although I am a bit short on load data for bullet weights between 90 - 100 grains.atb Tim

This is what works very well for me in my CZ. 85 grn Sierra Gameking hollow points, 36 grns of Varget,CCI large rifle primer,I have been using this for Reds,Fallow,Roe and Foxes very happy.
    Tusker