Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Anyone seen this before - muntjac intestine

  1. #1
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

    Anyone seen this before - muntjac intestine

    From a muntjac doe shot this morning - no other signs of disease or injury, all lymph nodes ok:



    Texture-wise it was a bit grainy.

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  2. #2
    What are you seeing as abnormal? You have the jejunum round the outside with their mesentry with the spiral colon overlaying it?

    Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

  3. #3
    On first glance I thought like Apache. Then again, I've never shot a muntjac... is that a normal amount of fat in the mesentery?

  4. #4
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I am talking of the bright pink tissue from the spiral colon outwards. In this particular muntjac that tissue was semi-rigid and had what I can only describe as a granular texture. It was different enough to be remarkable. Here is another picture that may be clearer:



    willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 24-12-2012 at 06:39.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  5. #5
    Looks like liver and sausages my woman cooked up a few nights ago.

    Bryan.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I am talking of the bright pink tissue from the spiral colon outwards. In this particular muntjac that tissue was semi-rigid and had what I can only describe as a granular texture. It was different enough to be remarkable. Here is another picture that may be clearer:



    willie_gunn
    I've looked at this again and it still looks like fat infiltration into the mesentery (the thin sheet that hold the intestines in place). I'm making the assumption however, that the pink colour is blood from the gralloch. If you say it is granular, it could be some form of lymphatic infiltration - like a tumour. If it is an older doe, then that would be more likely than in a younger one.

  7. #7
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    I've looked at this again and it still looks like fat infiltration into the mesentery (the thin sheet that hold the intestines in place). I'm making the assumption however, that the pink colour is blood from the gralloch. If you say it is granular, it could be some form of lymphatic infiltration - like a tumour. If it is an older doe, then that would be more likely than in a younger one.
    Buchan

    Thank you. That may well be the case. Yes, the pink colour is blood from the gralloch. 'Granular' is the best way that I can describe it - it just felt 'gritty' when held between the fingers. The doe wasn't that old and was acting perfectly normally. Having shot, or seen shot, well in excess of 100 muntjac I've just not seen anything like this before. It would be easy just to dispose of the gralloch and not bother asking, but there's always something new to learn with deer, so many thanks for the reply.

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Buchan

    Thank you. That may well be the case. Yes, the pink colour is blood from the gralloch. 'Granular' is the best way that I can describe it - it just felt 'gritty' when held between the fingers. The doe wasn't that old and was acting perfectly normally. Having shot, or seen shot, well in excess of 100 muntjac I've just not seen anything like this before. It would be easy just to dispose of the gralloch and not bother asking, but there's always something new to learn with deer, so many thanks for the reply.

    willie_gunn
    Hi Willie, Considering the number of muntjac you've seen, it probably wasn't fat! However, if it was tumour, I'd have expected the doe to be in poorer condition. There is an intestinal tumour of sheep that can look like this. We'll never know without a section of the tissue being analysed. Scotland, having a sensible attitude to animal health, have a scheme through Edinburgh Uni to collect samples like this and find out what is around. England - not a chance; I've asked.
    How well do you know your local vets? You could get them to submit sections of tissue like this to the VLA, but you'd have to pay (about 40). The SAC lab is cheaper (28) and other labs are available...

Similar Threads

  1. 1st muntjac outing and 1st muntjac
    By jay 22 in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 06:38
  2. Calling Muntjac Stalkers (Muntjac Research)
    By Remington 700 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-08-2011, 09:59
  3. Old Muntjac
    By Cris in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-03-2011, 22:00
  4. Muntjac
    By trouble in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-01-2011, 10:01
  5. swollen intestine
    By shootingduckdog in forum Diseases, Welfare and Biology
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-01-2009, 21:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •