Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham in Coke?

Ham in Coke?

I've got a rather large smoked ham to cook tomorrow and have been looking on line for an alternative to boiling/roasting.
    The main thing that keeps coming up is boiling it in COKE! Then roasting it with a treacle/ clove/mustard glaze. It seems to be a Nigella creation.
    Has anyone tried this? it does sound good!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I've got a rather large smoked ham to cook tomorrow and have been looking on line for an alternative to boiling/roasting.
    The main thing that keeps coming up is boiling it in COKE! Then roasting it with a treacle/ clove/mustard glaze. It seems to be a Nigella creation.
    Has anyone tried this? it does sound good!
    MS
    Wife cooked ours in coke last night, tastes like ham cooked in coke! Bit of an after taste, but if you put enough mustard on it it's ok.

if its a Nigella idea it will be good!

Made a Guinness cake from her recipe a few times now, best sweet thing I have ever eaten!!!

Sorry Ive completley forgotton about the ham, just thinking of Nigella dripping in coke...mmmmmm.

Oh Sweet Jesus! Yes! Awesome woman.

I like rootbeer for smoked ham. It's a little more rustic but the results are excellent.~Muir

I've had ribs done in coke and they were really good, really sticky.

My sister-in-law cooked a ham in coke a few years ago....VERY nice!! Didn't actually taste of coke, and wasn't fizzy on the outside (now that would be a taste sensation....). No aftertaste or anything like that, and has as already been said, Nigella tends to get it right; my wife made me a Nigella birthday cake yesterday. Bloody lovely. And the cake weren't half bad either......
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Well, it's in the pan!
    Had to go for 2/3 coke and 1/3 water as I didn't have enough coke!
    Smells good so far! Will let you know how it progresses!
    MS

I do a ham every year acoording to Nigella, hmmmmmmm!

Cover ham in Coke, bring to I simmer for 2 1/2 hours till the centre of the meat is showing over 65c on a thermometer. Allow to cool. Then peel the rind off. Score the fatty layer remaining. stud with cloves. once cold cover with black treacle that has a good spoonful of English mustard powder in it. give it enoguh time in oven at 170c to get the coating looking crispy.
    Job done.
    Things to note, only use full fat Coke, seriously don't try diet. Also be aware of the salt from the ham, last year I took the juices from the ham. I then condensed it by half. Tasted great BUT only cause of the amount of sugar in full fat Coke. I had the raging sh*ts for 24 hours cause of the amount of salt. so if salted, rinse very well. Funny now, but not at the time!!
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

Pre soak the ham for 24 hours changing the water regularly.