Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been hanging around you guys too long. Weighing things....

I've been hanging around you guys too long. Weighing things....

I got wondering about the quality/consistency of the Santa Barbara Systema("SBS") 308 brass I've been using with my Savage .308 but I didn't have any cleaned cases to weigh. Knowing that the A-Max bullets I load have always registered nominal weight on my cheapo digital scale (tho in reality, the scale is +/- a couple of tenths of a grain), and that the powder was weighed to an exactitude, and that primer weight was usually dead-on consistent, I decided to weigh the 30 loaded rounds I had left. Twenty five of them registered 400 grains. Two registered 398 grains and two registered 402 grains. The last gave a reading of 394 grains. That is some serious consistency for military contract brass, don't you think? I was impressed.~Muir

You're right Muir, that is quite consistent for wieght, military or your average commercial brass.

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Knowing that the powder was weighed to an exactitude...
    I am in shock!!
    Weighed you say!? What is this new fangled method of which you speak?!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I am in shock!!
    Weighed you say!? What is this new fangled method of which you speak?!
    Thought I'd try it after reading about it on the NET. ~Muir

(before I get jumped, remember: I said I weigh charges when appropriate. For this rifle, it's appropriate. For most hunting rifles, not.)

I got wondering about the quality/consistency of the Santa Barbara Systema("SBS") 308 brass I've been using with my Savage .308 but I didn't have any cleaned cases to weigh. Knowing that the A-Max bullets I load have always registered nominal weight on my cheapo digital scale (tho in reality, the scale is +/- a couple of tenths of a grain), and that the powder was weighed to an exactitude, and that primer weight was usually dead-on consistent, I decided to weigh the 30 loaded rounds I had left. Twenty five of them registered 400 grains. Two registered 398 grains and two registered 402 grains. The last gave a reading of 394 grains. That is some serious consistency for military contract brass, don't you think? I was impressed.~Muir
    I recon you must be bored or something , ive never been than anal to weight bullet cases , just size it , trim it , load it shoot it !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Who are you? And what have you done with Muir?
    Not buying guns! Weighing cases! WTF?!!!!!

Snap out of it Man. That snow must be deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    Who are you? And what have you done with Muir?
    Not buying guns! Weighing cases! WTF?!!!!!

Snap out of it Man. That snow must be deep.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

It is deep and getting deeper! ~Muir

Andy, when the snow melts.... I think we should have dinner!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Well HEY! Look at the time! Gotta go......~Muir