Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 big cat sightings in Northern Ireland/ROI

2 big cat sightings in Northern Ireland/ROI

Guys I have to share the experiences of the past 3 weeks.

I was travelling through Pomeroy heading to Omagh when a huge dog fox, the biggest I had ever seen ran in front of my car at about 10pm. the white lines in the middle of the road allowed me to gauge its size and I estimate it was easily german sheperd to lab in length. As I got closer having to slow the car down so not to hit it I realised it was in fact a huge cat, ginger in colour with the unmiztakable round ears and rounded tail!

I was then reading a Tyrone newspaper and someone else had written in 2 days later saying they had seen it less than 10miles from where I did. It was without doubt a bigcat!!! My second as I saw a black panther close to Loughgall back in 1996.

Now this is where it gets really interesting. I visted my brother who is based in the Irish Army in Dundalk, and during a training excercise less than 4 days ago he was standing on a mountain track with night vision accompanied by another highly experienced lad, both doing scout. They switched on the night vision equipment, latest in technology, not the old gen 1 stuff, and they couldn't believe what they saw. A lynx was approx 12feet away! My brother gave a squeak as though to attract a fox, and it moved silently backwards in a stalking motion. My brother said he couldn't believe how quiet the animal was through the heather. They didn't hear one ruffle or crack of heather. This all happened up the Cooley Mountains.

So there ya go, 2 genuine sightings by 2 people who have hunted all their lives.

squeeked it i would have given birth to a 12 lb turd

Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post
    squeeked it i would have given birth to a 12 lb turd
    Like that one

All these sightings of "BIG CATS",Funny ive never seen one laid out for the camera,When i see one laid out shot then i"ll believe it.
    Atb John.

There was one captured live by Arthur Cadman in Strathglass near Loch Ness back in the 80s.
    It was caught in a baited cage trap and was an elderly lynx. It was taken to the Highland Wildlife Park near Aviemore where it lived out the rest of its days and after a natural death it was set up by a taxidermist and is to the best of my knowledge, still there. It was well reported at the time with photographs in the Scotsman newspaper so the non-believers can stick that one right up them.

I must admit I would like to see one to be certain but I have five instances where dead solid genuine country people have seen big cats. One a hard nosed keeper in Oxforshire who only divulged to his close friends for fear of being ridiculed. Cat was within 15ft of him. A friend who shoots a lot of stuff at night and saw a pair of eyes which he imediately judged to be a cat because of that slow blink they do, then realised the eyes where wider than the 5inch post alongside it !! Then in my own locality, Leicestershire, three solid people saw a very large black cat, twice crossing the lane and one crossing a field. All of them said no way was what they saw a domestic cat.

Quote Originally Posted by purdey24 View Post
    There was one captured live by Arthur Cadman in Strathglass near Loch Ness back in the 80s.
    It was caught in a baited cage trap and was an elderly lynx. It was taken to the Highland Wildlife Park near Aviemore where it lived out the rest of its days and after a natural death it was set up by a taxidermist and is to the best of my knowledge, still there. It was well reported at the time with photographs in the Scotsman newspaper so the non-believers can stick that one right up them.
    Who's to say the animal wasn't placed in the trap just to create the publicity ? wouldn't be the first time a "staged incident" happened to stir up debate or create interest.
    Enjoy yourself ........it's later than you think !!

Quote Originally Posted by varmint223 View Post
    Who's to say the animal wasn't placed in the trap just to create the publicity ? wouldn't be the first time a "staged incident" happened to stir up debate or create interest.
    You could say that about anything published , televised or written .

Quote Originally Posted by purdey24 View Post
    Arthur Cadman - Telegraph

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b cat.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	22732If you want proof here it is . woodfordfallow