Thread: Mission Accomplished

Mission Accomplished

I have been shooting for more than 50 years and in that time have been lucky enough to shoot almost all the different types of game availible to most of us, from 3 cock pheasants dead in the air at the same time (with one gun) to a left and right Woodcock, I was 18 at the time and a great deal quicker than I am now.
    With a rifle I have shot and killed way beyond a sensible range, and almost upon me (it was either him or me) of the deer, many hundreds of Fallow, dozens of Sika, a great many Roe, a few Reds, a few Munties and now thanks to Malc 1 Chinese Water Deer.
    Many people have written that they are easy to shoot, and to a certain extent they are, being quite small a shot any where in the body will probably drop them, but for me seeing them for the first time I was fascinated to watch them,
    It seems that as soon as they are in the open their first instinct is to run at a fast pace into the centre of any field, and promptly to lay down, now if the field is small, no problem, but if the fields are 20 acres and above, as is the case on this ground, then you have to stalk across open ground to a shootable range, which is something I have always enjoyed, if you haven't got a spotting scope then the problem of sexing them becomes an issue, unless as we did on one stalk you stand and watch a good medal buck come out into the centre of the field, then to slowly zig- zag its way across the field towards us, its very large teeth glistening in the late afternoon sun, visible from 100 yds away, we already new this beast was not for me to shoot as we had a guest for the weekend. So we stood in the middle of the field with a medal buck which came to within 60 yds of us, he then just walked away with only a backward glance.
    We saw many more Chinese over the weekend and after Ricky had shot his first Chinese I also shot mine.
    So once again I would like to say a big thank you to Malc for the opportunity which was gratefully taken.
    I would just like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas and to say enjoy our sport, don't rush and try and shoot everything, take time to enjoy every stalk, because you should learn something every time you go out, if you didn't then you have missed something that may have helped you next time. Here endeth the lesson for another year.

Well done Robin, I've never even seen a CWD or a live Munty come to that. One of theses days I shall have a ride down and do a bit of "stocktaking" on Malc's ground

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Hi Robin I think you are the man who took me out for a stalk at Malcolm,s place in Sussex I must admit it was a nice stalk for me being I got the vibe from you! knowing your age a bit older than myself it was nice and slow taking in the wildlife scene as we walked , yourself looking under every single leaf as if there was a deer there,
    Very enjoyable day for me! I learnt a lot that day!,, I know exactly wat you meen, myself this year i shot a Chinese my first and quite challenging I must admit, it was totally different stalking to roe but very enjoyable day out not just the shot but change of scenery and a different species of deer atb Chris.

Well done Robin, merry xmas to you and cherry. catch up soon

Well done Robin! (and Malc too!)

You beat me to the full set damn you!... Chinese is the only UK deer left for me too... but you have been at it a year or two (or is that a decade or 4? ) longer than me, I'll give you that!

Great result mate, any pics?

all the best,

Alex
    Last edited by csl; 29-12-2012 at 21:07.

enjoy our sport, don't rush and try and shoot everything, take time to enjoy every stalk, because you should learn something every time you go out, if you didn't then you have missed something that may have helped you next time.

+ 1. Well said matey.