Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rifle Barrel "running in"

New Rifle Barrel "running in"

Guys,

I've been told about running new barrels in, but wondered what others do. I found something on t'internet, but speaking to some it seems abit excessive.

Shoot 1 shot and clean (Chamber and barrel and dry out)
    Shoot 2 shots and clean
    Shoot 3 shots and clean
    Shoot 5 shots and clean
    Shoot 5 shots and clean
    Shoot 10 shots and clean
    Shoot 10 shots and clean

for a total of 36 rounds using ammo from a single batch similar to the type of ammo that you intend to use for future shooting.

I've never done this before and am intrigued as to your thoughts and what you have done.

SS

I do regard this break in stuff as nonsense.
    You are paying for a brand new barrel then you are expected to break it in.
    If you have to break it in it is not finished.
    So it is not finished, so take it back and get it finished.
    Is there a break in period for TV'ss, PC's etc any other product you buy, No.

http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

Or if you want to spend time and money then read this:
    http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidC...CompanyId=1246

Jack,

Thanks for the honest response and the websites.

Has anyone else the same views? or have you "Run in" yours?

SS

I normally put about ten rounds down a new barrel without looking at the target, well hardly.
    My idea is to get any rough edges or loose bits smoothed out and get the 'scope settled.
    Then check the rifle and 'scope for tightness, if all is well, then settle down to zero the thing.
    I've never had a problem with my shooting.

Look at Borders website. Geoff Kolbe wrote a great piece about running in barrels on there (also might be on jackson rifles). I just ran in a new barrel last night. It stopped coppering at about 16rds (including proof) so I left it at that and will now clean after every use. Everyone will have slightly different methods but you do generally need to run a few bullets through a barrel before all minor imperfections etc are smoothed out. Even the best finished barrels (including Kriegers, Bartleins etc) need running in.
    If you don't want to run in then thats fine but as far as I can tell it pays dividends int he long term when it comes to accuracy and particularly cleaning.

Regards

Gareth

Buy a second hand rifle - the previous owner gets hit for the initial depreciation, & you can forget about breaking it in.
    Two of my rifles are second hand & very accurate.

The one I did buy new, I fired a few shots to get zeroed & took it home & cleaned it. Followed by just a couple of shots at most per outing before a mandatory clean at the end of the day.

I have always wondered if I had known to do the fire one, clean routine for the first 40 rounds! If the rifle would shoot smaller groups now, to be honest, I think it's anyone's guess, & whilst I like to keep my rifles in good order, they are working tools, not some cosseted target shooting fair weather rifle.

If in doubt, I would do it the slow way you have described, otherwise you may be left with doubts that things could have been ever so slightly better.
    Border barrels have a description on their site recommending bore foam & a week.

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    I do regard this break in stuff as nonsense.
    You are paying for a brand new barrel then you are expected to break it in.
    If you have to break it in it is not finished.
    So it is not finished, so take it back and get it finished.
    Is there a break in period for TV'ss, PC's etc any other product you buy, No.

http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

Or if you want to spend time and money then read this:
    http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidC...CompanyId=1246
    The 6mmbr article is all very well, but I don't know anyone who uses 100 rounds for a barrel break in, that's too much IMHO. I do 5 rounds of one shot & clean, then 5 shots & clean 3 times, that's a total of 20 rounds. I use Sweet's which is an aggressive ammonia based copper remover because I can't be arsed to wait forever for bore foam to do its thing.

Cars used to need running in... So why not barrels? Chamber reamers but perpendicular to the barrel grooves, so it's bound to leave burrs, so IMHO you need to at least polish them off.

In any case, it's a matter of personal choice and how many people have the inclination to find out the difference between running in and not? How many people own a bore scope??? And how much difference does it make at the end of the day?

http://www.border-barrels.com/shoot-in.htm

This makes sense, but I have never done it.
    Better to try it than have any doubts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO
    This makes sense, but I have never done it.
    Thats exactly why I'm struggling as to whether you need to or not? The Theory does make sense, but then again is it one of those myths of shooting.

I mean how do you prove that a barrel's been "shot out" quicker by not doing this method than one that has!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

We're talking over X000 of rounds at different temperatures, conditions, over X years, and X different things that could be different between one barrel and the next just in terms of the actual manufacturing process, let alone bullet/powder type, method of cleaning and type of cleaning products used, storage of weapon etc. etc.

There are so many variables that I can't comprehend how this has been calculated to be so.

Still, to be "safe", I'll fire a couple through and clean, then another couple and clean, then 3 and clean then 3 and clean and thats it. Ten rounds through, and if the Burr's etc aren't sorted by then, then they never will.

SS

[quote=

Still, to be "safe", I'll fire a couple through and clean, then another couple and clean, then 3 and clean then 3 and clean and thats it. Ten rounds through, and if the Burr's etc aren't sorted by then, then they never will.

SS[/quote]
    I reckon that should do it. Might as well stick them through a target too. It might not be super accurate to start with, but you should be able to have it pretty much zeroed by the end of your 'run-in'.