Thread: Decided to get a gundog :)

Decided to get a gundog :)

Hey all Hope everyone is well. After a few months considering an all I have decided to get a gundog to train up to use 8)

Now the breed I really like is the GSP they look stunning and I hear they are fantastic workers.
    Although I have recently read that a GWP will mature faster n be easier to handle

Im unsure which to go for tbh Both seem like great dogs and are very similar.

I want to use this dog for alot, rough shooting, retrieving pigeons in the hide, rabbit shooting/retrieving, a spot of wildfowling and possibly even some deer tracking that's why I picked one of these dogs, there VERY versatile and should be able to do all the jobs I need 8)

Now I was wondering If anyone can offer any advice to me regarding the dog ? which one to get ? Bitch or dog ?

I live by a Nature reserve and have ALOT of land free to use, including rough ground, a lake with ducks (not going to be shooting them lol) huge fields, land to shoot that has deer on it so hopefully be able to train a good quality dog/bitch

I have had dogs in the past but not a gundog although I have worked with springers before on the beating line and thoroughly enjoyed it

The dog will pref be kennel'd outside, although my mother thinks this is cruel so a Possibility for it to be in the house

Appreciate any help n tips I get guys, thanks very much

i keep 3 wire hair and a short hair .the gsp is her own dog and will do her own thing about the place.
    but the 3 gwp are at the window or patio door wanting you out to play or hunt.
    for deer work i would not pass the wire hairs there a hardy and loyal.

just get a calm pup from proven deer stalking stock or you could get that nutter every one knows.

the wire hairs will try your patience ,look for every angle do get one over on you ,but if you have a good sound training program with no grey areas you will have a dog to be proud of .

one thing a pup will learn notting sitting in a kennel 23 hours a day

There is a good litter here:
    http://www.bryantscroftgundogs.co.uk/id7.html

I have a bitch booked, it will be my second dog from Rory Major, can't fault them. My last bitch is 10 so its time to start again!

gundog

Had many dogs over the years GSP, Springers and first cross springer/retriever.
    Each has its good and bad points, the GSP has a lovely way about it,but generally is a bit scatty, mine came from generations of working and field trial breeding. One thing was certain when she went on point it was always there, even if it was only a clump of dockleaves,out would come something.
    Having a fine coat, heavy cover was not appreciated and given the choice if she could see it, visual was always preferred too, rather than having to work for her supper. Nettles were always a problem on her pads.
    Obstacles do not deter them when on the scent and they have the strength to catch (fast) and hold onto the beast till you get there, not very vocal but you can always attatch a bell if running free.
    Most GSP's are very long lived, mine was 14 when we had her put down,broke my heart that day,thank goodness my wife was there to console me.
    So if you do decide on one, be prepared for the long haul.What ever you choose you will have a friend for the whole of their life,
    best of luck
    Bye the way I find the female of the species more bidable,
    the males seem to want to do their own thing a bit more. My wife says its the opposite!

I have no experience of wirehairs (I have Munsterlanders) but I do know Rory Major quite well and would recommend any of his dogs. You only have to walk in his house and see his awards to see how valued his dogs are.

I was training with my dogs at Rory's twice this week (once with Trapper and Freya) and I was also there in May on the day this litter was being born!

If I was after a wirehair, I doubt I would go anywhere other than Rory. If nothing else, you will have a lifetime of training experience, field trial judging and all round knowledge to fall back on

Russ

Debating now wether a German Pointer or a lab would be better lol!
    Damn! Can pick up a Black Lab Bitch for 275, might go for it. Be ready in about 8 weeks as the litter was born yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by manc-munsters
    I have no experience of wirehairs (I have Munsterlanders) but I do know Rory Major quite well and would recommend any of his dogs. You only have to walk in his house and see his awards to see how valued his dogs are.

I was training with my dogs at Rory's twice this week (once with Trapper and Freya) and I was also there in May on the day this litter was being born!

If I was after a wirehair, I doubt I would go anywhere other than Rory. If nothing else, you will have a lifetime of training experience, field trial judging and all round knowledge to fall back on

Russ
    He also has Labs and Cockers! Very talented trainer and breeder. For me to go back he must be good!

I can recommend the Bryantscroft bloodlines as well. My oldest bitch is half Bryantscroft and last year I bought a pup from Rory himself. Top quality.

I ended up with a lab Lovely dog Pick her up in 2 weeks