Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heel - lagging behind

Heel - lagging behind

Hi there,
    i am currently training my young Teckel. She is getting the hang of heel and I can stop her going too far forward, however she has a tendency to lag behind me sometimes smelling something on the ground or where another dog has been.

does anyone have any ideas on how to stop her doing this? I want her to be very steady on heel eventually so she can come stalking with me.

thanks, muddy

Lagging behind should be checked just the same as pulling! Just check it the same.
    Last edited by Paul 600; 25-12-2012 at 11:56.

Depends on the dog.
    If dog is sensitive,encourage it at heel,it will pull forward.
    If dog is quite stubborn as Deer man says give it a yank forward.
    As said depends on dog and no hard and fast rule.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Lagging behind should be checked just the same as pulling! Just check it the same.
    Sorry should have said. She is off the lead. We have done a lot of work on the lead and she does not pull on the lead at all, in front or behind. However off the lead she lags behind.

My dog did that, I used a plastic bottle half full of pebbles shaken to break her concentration with some positive reinforcement when she caught up. An electric collar would also have the same effect and would be quicker if you're that way inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy42 View Post
    Sorry should have said. She is off the lead. We have done a lot of work on the lead and she does not pull on the lead at all, in front or behind. However off the lead she lags behind.
    How long did you keep her on lead?
    She does not respect you before she does not listen to you off lead,therefore keep her on lead longer.
    Did you take lead her off right away? Leading onto off lead?
    An electric collar will be NO help whatsoever.....she is right beside you,why do you need an electric collar Shabz?
    PS Muddy,some Teckel's will never stalk at heel without a lead,some will,they are a hound,nose rules the head therefore don't be too sore on her,they are quite headstrong,not a failing and don't make her heel to the detriment of other strengths,NO NEED FOR ELECTRIC COLLAR,she is doing what comes naturally,nose on deck........
    Last edited by Wolverine; 25-12-2012 at 15:02.

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook

Get it back on the lead! You could try trailing a check cord which you can stand on or pick up to correct the dog eventually making it shorter and shorter until the dog is walking free.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    An electric collar will be NO help whatsoever.....she is right beside you,why do you need an electric collar Shabz?
    If the dog was right beside you then there wouldn't be a problem.
    My dog had the same problem, I let her lag by a metre or two and then shook the plastic bottle of stones to break her concentration and gave the command to heel. It only took her a few times and she heels perfectly now. I would never pretend to be an expert, but this is what I have found to work for me. I also think i would prefer to use the collar for this, just to break concentration. A collar with a vibrate function is enough, a beep even. Its an electric collar, not an electric chair! My dog quarters ground beatifully because of the beep function on her collar. They really aren't the hell born devil tools that they're made out to be as long as they're in the right hands.

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Get it back on the lead! You could try trailing a check cord which you can stand on or pick up to correct the dog eventually making it shorter and shorter until the dog is walking free.

Also sounds like a good idea to me!

Muddy dont try and stifle her nose to ground for the benefit of her walking at heel,how old is she?
    As she matures it'll come,you can always stalk with her on a shoulder lead,a teckel is not a lab or a GWP,it's a hound that loves its nose on the deck.
    They are very headstrong and nose will take over head,especially when young,don't be in a rush.
    Electric collars can be useful for certain purposes but for basic training they arent needed.A beep function matters not,neither does a sharp shock if you've got a hard headed dog,a dog which loves and respects his handler and trained correctly from the start should not need one.
    They aren't the devils work if used correctly,this is a problem though,it's no quick fix for something that's not a problem.Sheep chasing ingrained in a 3 or 4 year old dog,then if all else has failed a collar will work perfectly....The secret is not to get in situations like this with a dog in the first place.
    Known a lot of dogs ruined by collars and ones saved by them also......for basic obedience,no,IMHO.Especially with a young dog.Poor cute little teckel(don't fall into that trap either)
    Shabz,why let a dog lag behind to start with,you are in control,not the dog.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 25-12-2012 at 19:36.

Discretion assured

or find us on facebook