Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 varget whats the difference

20 varget whats the difference

whats the difference between a 20 tac and a 20 vartarg can anyone help me ?

Powder capacity. I think the 20 tac (and 20 prac) are based on a necked down 223 case, and the vartarg is based on a necked down 22 fireball case. ( which in turn is a shortened 223)
    I think that's basically correct, check out the fine details on Saubier's website.
    cheers, Tedward.

Quote Originally Posted by devonfoxer View Post
    whats the difference between a 20 tac and a 20 vartarg can anyone help me ?
    20 Caliber Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com Merry Christmas. JCS

Try finding the cases first, which are i think .221.
    Thats why i got a tac make cases from .223 brass.

I make my 20 Vartarg from 223 brass, with a set of Redding form dies. Which enables me to use better quality brass, than what is generally available for the 221 FB (Winchester/Remington)
    It is quite time consuming, but I absolutley love the calibre, so the effort involved is worth it.
    You will get quite a few FPS from the 20 Tac. or 20 Prac.
    But with 32g Nosler BT's or 35g Bergers, it does all I need as a dedicated NV/foxing rifle.

Dean at Norman Clarks shoot with a 20 Vartarg turbo, sounds like it may rival the 20 Tac??

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I've got the 204 Ruger at the moment .

But I've always thought the 20 BR or 20 PPC would be kinda intresting .

The first 204 Ruger I had was on the 77 MKII Varmint gun , you know the greyed stainless , laminated stock with wide forend . That thing was a died in the wool 1/2 MOA rifle for 5 shots provided the shooter kept his wits about him and on good days 1/4 MOA wasn't unheard of . I also at one point had a 77MKII Varmint in 6mm PPC that was an honest to goodness 1/4MOA rifle for 5 shots . Hence my thinking that a 20 PPC might be the best of both worlds so to speak . Regardless what cartridge you base your 20 cal cartridge on and provided the gun was smithed well I cannot imagine it not being fun to work up loads for !

Like alot of other things in my area of the USA groundhogs(woodchucks) have decreased in population over the years so my hunting of them has decreased to the point that I rarely do it anylonger .

And I realize most of you gentleman in the UK that want a 20 cal want it for shooting foxes or other forms of vermin . My own use of the majority of the 17 , 20 and 22 cals has turned to the paper mostly category .

thanks for the replies guys as usual you are the fountains of all knowlegde lol ta merry xmas stu

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I've got the 204 Ruger at the moment .

But I've always thought the 20 BR or 20 PPC would be kinda intresting .

The first 204 Ruger I had was on the 77 MKII Varmint gun , you know the greyed stainless , laminated stock with wide forend . That thing was a died in the wool 1/2 MOA rifle for 5 shots provided the shooter kept his wits about him and on good days 1/4 MOA wasn't unheard of . I also at one point had a 77MKII Varmint in 6mm PPC that was an honest to goodness 1/4MOA rifle for 5 shots . Hence my thinking that a 20 PPC might be the best of both worlds so to speak . Regardless what cartridge you base your 20 cal cartridge on and provided the gun was smithed well I cannot imagine it not being fun to work up loads for !
    so what was the ppc like?

Quote Originally Posted by soother223 View Post
    so what was the ppc like?
    Dunno never had a 20 PPC made ! But I do think it'd be a winner .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 26-12-2012 at 14:47.